Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Biosite 'Intends' to Accept Inverness Bid and Terminate Beckman Offer

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb News) — Biosite today disclosed that it “currently intends” to accept Inverness Medical Innovations’ bid to acquire it, and plans to terminate an earlier offer made by Beckman Coulter.
In the latest, and what appears to be final, twist of the ongoing battle for Biosite, the company said that a binding offer it recently received from Inverness is “superior” to Beckman Coulter’s bid as defined in the existing merger agreement between Beckman Coulter and Biosite.
Inverness’ offer, which would buy all of Biosite’s outstanding stock for $90 per share in cash, is $5 more than Beckman’s original bid, which opened on March 24 and runs out on April 27. Inverness currently owns 5 percent of the company’s shares.
Inverness’ bid was accompanied by copies of signed and “further revised” commitment letters from its “proposed” financing sources. The offer is irrevocable and will remain open until 11:59 p.m., Pacific Daylight Time, on May 2, according to Inverness.
Biosite has filed copies of Inverness’ offer and financing commitment with the US Securities and Exchange Committee.
Biosite today said it has sent Beckman Coulter a “written notice” of its “current intention to terminate” Beckman’s merger agreement and accept the Inverness Superior Proposal shortly after midnight on May 2.
Beckman Coulter has until that time to make a binding counteroffer that Biosite determines is “at least as favorable” as Inverness’. If Beckman doesn’t counter offer, Biosite “intends to terminate the Beckman Coulter merger agreement and enter into the proposed Inverness merger agreement,” Biosite said in its statement.
The move would require Biosite to pay Beckman a $50-million termination fee. In its offer, Inverness said it would repay Biosite that amount as soon as it signs the deal.
In its response, also released today, Beckman Coulter said it will “consider all of its options and determine how to best serve its stockholders.” The company said it is “under no obligation to submit a revised proposal to Biosite or to respond in any fashion to the Biosite notice.”
Inverness CEO Ron Zwanziger said his company is “extremely pleased” at Biosit’e decision.
Earlier this week, the German Federal Cartel Office approved a bid by Beckman’s original bid to acquire Biosite, while US regulators approved the deal last week.
Also last week, Inverness disclosed that it will finance the acquisition with help from General Electric Capital Corporation and UBS Loan Finance and Securities.
In a revised commitment letter Inverness sent to Biosite, Biosite said that GECC and UBSS would loan Biosite $1.3 billion. GECC will provide 40 percent of the amount and UBSS will drum up the 60-percent balance. 
The commitment letters can be seen here and here.
Inverness currently owns around 5 percent Biosite, or around 799,000 shares, according to Nasdaq. Based on Wednesday’s closing price of $93.15 and that the remaining 95 percent of the company that Inverness wants to buy represents around 15 million shares, Inverness will need to come up with just under $1.4 billion.
According to the revised commitment letter, the financing would include a $1.15-billion loan facility and $150-million revolving facility. These figures would depend on several conditions, including the possibility that other lenders may be brought into the deal.

The Scan

Transcriptomic, Epigenetic Study Appears to Explain Anti-Viral Effects of TB Vaccine

Researchers report in Science Advances on an interferon signature and long-term shifts in monocyte cell DNA methylation in Bacille Calmette-Guérin-vaccinated infant samples.

DNA Storage Method Taps Into Gene Editing Technology

With a dual-plasmid system informed by gene editing, researchers re-wrote DNA sequences in E. coli to store Charles Dickens prose over hundreds of generations, as they recount in Science Advances.

Researchers Model Microbiome Dynamics in Effort to Understand Chronic Human Conditions

Investigators demonstrate in PLOS Computational Biology a computational method for following microbiome dynamics in the absence of longitudinally collected samples.

New Study Highlights Role of Genetics in ADHD

Researchers report in Nature Genetics on differences in genetic architecture between ADHD affecting children versus ADHD that persists into adulthood or is diagnosed in adults.