Skip to main content
Premium Trial:

Request an Annual Quote

Biosite Hints Inverness Bid Is 'Superior' to Beckman's; Firms Plan Talks

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb News) — Biosite today said it will start discussions with Inverness Medical Innovations about Inverness’s offer to buy the company for $90 a share.
 
Biosite said its board of directors and financial and legal advisors think Inverness’s offer “is reasonably likely to lead to a superior proposal” than the one it accepted from Beckman Coulter two weeks ago. Beckman late last month offered to buy the company for $85 a share, or around $1.55 billion.
 
In response, Beckman CEO Scott Garrett today said his company has waived a two-day period that Biosite agreed to before it could negotiate with other companies. Garrett said his company hopes to “resolve the uncertainty in the marketplace” the Inverness offer could generate.
 
Garrett also restated his view that Inverness’s offer is shaky due to its “conditional and uncertain terms,” and that it “should give the Biosite board and its stockholders enormous pause.”
 
Garrett also said he views Inverness’s “financing ‘commitments’” as containing “remarkably broad conditions and contingencies.”
 
Biosite said its board has not “withdrawn, qualified, modified, changed or amended” its recommendations to the company about the Beckman agreement, and said that for the time being that agreement “remains in effect.”
 
Yesterday, Inverness, which owns 5 percent of Biosite’s shares, expressed “dismay” that Biosite had not responded to its unsolicited offer to buy the remaining 95 percent of the company.
The Scan

Study Follows Consequences of Early Confirmatory Trials for Accelerated Approval Indications

Time to traditional approval or withdrawal was shorter when confirmatory trials started prior to accelerated approval, though overall regulatory outcomes remained similar, a JAMA study finds.

Sequencing Study Leads to Vaccine Target in Bacteria Behind Neonatal Meningitis

Researchers eBioMedicine track down potential vaccine targets with transposon sequencing on mutant bacteria causing neonatal meningitis in mouse models of the disease.

Multiple Myeloma Progression Influenced by Immune Microenvironment Expression

Researchers in NPJ Genomic Medicine compare RNA sequencing profiles of 102,207 individual cells in bone marrow samples from 18 individuals with rapid or non-progressing multiple myeloma.

Self-Reported Hearing Loss in Older Adults Begins Very Early in Life, Study Says

A JAMA Otolaryngology — Head & Neck Surgery study says polygenic risk scores associated with hearing loss in older adults is also associated with hearing decline in younger groups.