Summary of Essential Job Duties:
This is an entry level programming position with general supervision, responsible for some basic application development or scripting tools to support scientific/bioinformatic research and Genomics core related business objectives. Will be directly Responsible for installing and maintaining existing open source software, writing novel scripting, and executing pipelines for high throughput data for analysis and Quality control (QA). The candidate will provide some software development life cycle phases from concept and design to testing. And will help identify scope, designs and create component based applications for research and service related projects, this may include introduction of an application layer, modeling techniques, component and object-oriented design, and systematic approaches to application integration. The candidate must be comfortable on new but also extending the life of existing basic applications. May serve as liaison to internal customers, research groups and various business support areas including working closely with Research Computing. Maintains computational infrastructure and systems to support current software, analysis, and storage of various data-types. Works closely with Cedars-Sinai Genomics Core Bioinformatics team and Wet lab personnel and research informatics to support core and genomics related projects.
The ideal candidate will have experience to carry out the following duties.
1. Assist in incorporating public domain software for bioinformatics into multi components-based applications to sort, filter, and store genomic data.
3. Under supervision, test and deploy new features and versions of core scientific applications, databases and utilities
4. Debug and maintain deployments of core applications, databases and utilities, escalating for help when necessary
5. Assist with the creation of enhancements to software applications for review by more senior members of the staff
6. Assists with the creation of component/subsystem documentation. Help to produce design and technical specifications as needed for technical documentation which programs and scientific analysis are executed/written
7. Participate in discussions around translating program requirements, recommending system solutions, and helping to formulate detailed specifications from which programs and scientific analysis are executed/written
8. Liaison with Director of Genomics Core, Bioinformaticians and wet lab scientists and Director of Scientific Computing
9. Participates in design and technical meetings
10. Create drafts of technical documentation for internal business use, or education use w/EIC, Bioinformatists and wet lab