Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center's five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children's, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
The Abstractor position works for the Hutchinson Institute for Cancer Outcomes Research (HICOR) under the Division of Public Health Sciences at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. This part-time position (20-30 hrs/week) will be responsible for abstracting detailed information from clinical records for patient outcomes research studies. Abstracted data may include demographic characteristics, medical history, staging, and treatment of cancer diagnoses as well as risk factors, co-morbidities, and pharmacological data. The person in this position will be expected to consistently abstract information using specific study guidelines. Knowledge of breast, lung and colorectal cancer diagnostics and treatment is preferred.
- Abstract data from patient charts and medical records.
- Document questions and areas of concern to coordinator.
- Attend scheduled meetings to stay current on procedural and abstracting changes.
- Work with project manager and project staff to identify needed enhancements.
- Work with hospital and medical office personnel to arrange visits and to obtain records.
- Travel to and from various medical institutions throughout Washington State.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- RHIT/RHIA degree or 2 years college-level course in relevant academic area or equivalent education/experience.
- Minimum one year of abstraction or related medical records experience.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong medical background, preferably in a cancer research setting.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Car for field work.
- Understanding of breast, lung and colorectal cancer issues and diagnostic data.
- Familiarity with common electronic medical record systems.
- Computer skills, especially with regards to data management and remote access.
- Flexible work schedule.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE