Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center's five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science.
The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children's, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
The Special Events Coordinator on the Communications team manages logistics for internal and external events, assists with the campus tour program, and acts as liaison with Fred Hutch staff and outside individuals and organizations. The Coordinator is responsible for the administrative organization of the Communications team, supports communications projects for the Director of Communications and media relations team.
Drafts and edits communication pieces. Activities include a variety of support for key cross-departmental programs including media relations, publications and operations. Project management may be required for special projects. This position reports to the Director of Communications.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, coordinate, and manage internal and external events for the department. Develop and manage event timelines and calendars, recruit speakers and volunteers, oversee all promotion material development. Activities include proactive planning and scheduling event needs, setting promotional and event timelines, works with the content tem to ensure that all pieces are completed on time, reserving venues, ordering catering and AV, signage, name tags, handouts or packets, coordinate volunteers, direct vendors, oversee set-up and breakdown of the event and other duties as needed. Manage all aspects and details of events from conception to completion; flag issues as appropriate.
Manage volunteers, instruct presenters and field questions. Coordinate day of event logistics - from set-up and registration to trouble shoot throughout event to post event clean-up and thank yous. Document and maintain records for historical analysis, metrics tracking and information purposes.
- Assists with the campus tour program. Coordinates tour requests. Evaluate and prioritizes requests to meet appropriate needs. Serve as tour guide.
- With other administrative coordinators in the department, act as a liaison with Fred Hutch staff and outside individuals and organizations, answering questions and resolving problems with regard to the activities and programs of the Communications and Marketing Department.
- Support communications projects for Director of Communications and act as backup for other operations staff.
- Support media relations team. Monitor, track, and report on media coverage. Post releases and coverage on public website. Draft and assist with media plans and media reports.
- Draft and edit communication pieces such as press releases, internal and external news stories, all campus emails, event collateral, promotional materials and social media posts.
- Manage Communications SharePoint site, provide staff training and establish requested sub-sites supporting department projects.
- Support in the production of department publications.
- Provide operations support including as required: process and maintain invoices, reconcile monthly; answer phones; carry out special projects in support of the VP of Communications and Marketing; other tasks as assigned.
Summary of Experience
- Bachelor's degree in communications, business, marketing, public relations, or related field.
- 3+ years progressively complex administrative experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in event coordination
- Adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage time-sensitive projects within a budget
- Ability to work a varied schedule with flexible hours
- Track record of dealing sensitively with confidential matters; experience managing complex calendars
- Experience with organizing and maintaining filing systems, both paper and electronic, is required. Must be comfortable with taking initiative, and have strong follow-through skills.
- Broad understanding and experience producing for digital channels and social media, including traditional (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and emerging players.
- Proficiency with a variety of software packages (MS Office, SharePoint, and Adobe Creative Suite)
- Scientific expertise and understanding of the not-for-profit research space a plus.
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE