The Scientist, Molecular Biology will create innovative protocols for sample and library preparation for Illumina and other next-generation sequencing machines. The candidate will bring the NYGC to the cutting edge of genomics research through exploratory research.
The candidate should be an independent thinker that is capable of developing new protocols and novel schemes to solve complex problems. They will innovate in a revolutionary, rather than evolutionary manner, and will become a key member of a newly formed Technology Innovation team.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design novel strategies to prepare samples and libraries for next-generation DNA sequencing platforms;
• Master and improve methods on the newest sequencing instruments (e.g., those based on nanopore technology) as they arrive;
• Monitor developments in sequencing technology, collaborate with new technology providers and provide expertise on next-generation sequencing to maintain the NYGC at the forefront of sequencing and genomic analysis;
• Be a source of knowledge for the team and the rest of the center in applying molecular biology tools to solve specific research problems;
• Maintain significant knowledge of the current, relevant scientific literature, and communicate key developments to other group members to ensure competitiveness of the group;
• Publish and present current research through high-impact journals, posters and presentations in a timely manner to the benefit of the research community and to improve the profile of the center;
• Take an active part in lab meetings, sharing and improving the knowledge of the team and obtaining information relevant to the team’s goals.