Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Competitive Benefits Package
The Research Engineer develops new devices, protocols and instrumentation to achieve automation in a biological laboratory environment, e.g., high-throughput DNA sample preparation. The incumbent will enable the design, building, testing, optimization and modification of complex new DNA sequencing-related technologies and instruments. Microfluidics will be a recurring theme in the work.
The Research Engineer will work with and among genome scientists and should have the desire to work with biologists to solve medical / healthcare problems.
This is a great opportunity for the right person to become involved as a member of a newly formed technology innovation team within the exciting field of human genetics and DNA analysis, working in a high-tech biotechnology laboratory at a premier research facility.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide clever and novel engineering designs to solve problems impacting a modern genomics laboratory;
• Work in a wet laboratory to construct, test and improve those designs; i.e., understand and embrace experimental methods;
• Manage the automation of both home-made and commercial instruments via software and hardware interfaces;
• Interact effectively with other team members to try and understand the key aspects of the biological problem being solved;
• Work independently and in a self-motivated fashion while being a key part of the team.
• Mechanical, electrical, instrumentation or bioengineering degree or equivalent;
• 2 years minimum design experience;
• Knowledge of automation;
• Microfluidics and/or other fluidics systems know-how;
• Basic control systems;
• Ability to work in a lab to perform experiments and produce practical results;
• Programming experience, e.g., in C/C++;
• Good level of manual dexterity;
• Ability to work unsupervised;
• Some knowledge of life sciences or the ability and desire to work alongside biologists;
• Microfabrication background would be a plus.
To apply for a position, please send an email with your cover letter and resume/CV as an attachment to email@example.com
The New York Genome Center (NYGC) is an independent, non-profit organization that leverages the collaborative resources of leading academic medical centers, research universities, and commercial organizations. Our vision is to transform medical research and clinical care in New York and beyond through the creation of one of the largest genomics facilities in North America, integrating sequencing, bioinformatics, and data management, as well as performing cutting-edge genomics research.