The Research Engineer develops new devices, protocols and instrumentation to achieve automation in a biological laboratory environment, e.g., high-throughput DNA sample preparation. The incumbent will enable the design, building, testing, optimization and modification of complex new DNA sequencing-related technologies and instruments. Microfluidics will be a recurring theme in the work.
The Research Engineer will work with and among genome scientists and should have the desire to work with biologists to solve medical / healthcare problems.
This is a great opportunity for the right person to become involved as a member of a newly formed technology innovation team within the exciting field of human genetics and DNA analysis, working in a high-tech biotechnology laboratory at a premier research facility.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide clever and novel engineering designs to solve problems impacting a modern genomics laboratory;
• Work in a wet laboratory to construct, test and improve those designs; i.e., understand and embrace experimental methods;
• Manage the automation of both home-made and commercial instruments via software and hardware interfaces;
• Interact effectively with other team members to try and understand the key aspects of the biological problem being solved;
• Work independently and in a self-motivated fashion while being a key part of the team.