The Clinical Laboratory Scientist III (CSL III) works under minimal supervision, and is responsible for complex laboratory procedures and handles all types of specimen submitted into the Cytogenetics department in processing task assigned. The schedule for this position will be Tuesday - Saturday on the Day Shift.
- Need to perform simple to complex assays by following the established Cytodepartmental protocols.
- Read and understand all the SOPs related to the department and adhere to all rules and protocols. Also revise and update SOP?s as required.
- Read and record critical assay dependent measurements.
- Need to perform analysis accurately on a daily basis.
- Data entry and reporting via the laboratory?s LIS system.
- Prepare clinical specimens for testing and identify specimen related problems.
- Take a main role in performing QC for reagents and chemicals and by using the SOPs.
- Review and approve Quality control and Quality Assurance results and provide Quality metrics
- Must be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either, must correct the problems or immediately notify the general supervisor or director.
- Must document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specification.
- Responsible in assisting the supervisor in ensuring an efficient workflow operation and reports any delays and problems that can cause significant delay on the workflow process to supervisors, or technical direct.
- Monitor TAT and workflow
- Assists in preparation of validation documentation of new tests and procedures as required by the company.
- Accurately perform and record proficiency testing.
- Consistently and independently performs the most complex level of clinical tests, demonstrating the highest level of accuracy and productivity.
- Determines calculated results utilizing testing data by means of manual or computerized procedures.
- Accurately enters results of testing. Checks computer review reports to monitor accurate reporting results.
- Effectively resolves common problems or is able to check with group leaders when it is uncertain.
- Maintain laboratory in a clean, functional state, as well as cleaning or performing scheduled equipment and instrument maintenance and calibration, as required.
- Adheres to Department Specific Safety Guidelines.
- Standing, sitting, walking, bending, reaching, manual manipulation, and lifting up to 15 pounds.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of personal information according to HIPPA guidelines
- Assist with workflow management
- Review clinical results for accuracy and completeness of peers
- Assist in training of new hires
- Handle major instruments and perform basic troubleshooting.
- Other duties as assigned by Medical Laboratory Director or VP of Operations
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical of Life Sciences (Biological Science background)
- Minimum 5 years of experience performing Cytogenetics karyotype analysis
- Proven knowledge of departmental required techniques for Cytogenetics
- Successful candidate must have a solid understanding of general laboratory techniques with emphasis for the department specific techniques.
- Ability to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to operate equipment with sufficient proficiency to successfully execute test procedures.
- Computer skills and laboratory automation knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively and follow written and verbal instructions.
- CA State License Clinical Cytogenetic Scientist ,CLSP(CG), CG(ASCP)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Able to demonstrate initiative, balanced assertiveness and team orientation.
- Able to demonstrate excellent time management skills.
- Minimum 2 years experience with performing Cytogenetics Case Review