Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases.
Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center's five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science.
The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children's, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest.
The focus of research conducted in this laboratory in the Clinical Research Division of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Research is the study of the molecular and cell biology of gastrointestinal cancer as well as the role of genetic and epigenetic alterations in cancer.
Under general supervision of the PI and senior post-doctoral fellows in the lab, the Research Technician I will perform varied support functions requiring knowledge and skills specific to the research study.
Job responsibilities will include the following:
- Acquisition of tissue samples-mouse intestinal mucosa isolation, human colon, colorectal cancer, collection and processing of blood samples.
- DNA, RNA extraction from tissue and cell lines.
- Real-time PCR technology.
- Protein extraction, cell fractionation, western blot, and immunoprecipitation.
- Organization of specimen inventory in short-term and long-term storage.
- Tissue culture with normal and cancer cell lines.
- Mouse husbandry/colony management with transgenic and conditional knock-out mice.
- Maintain a database used for organizing the current inventory and tracking the location of specific information/specimens.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Monitor adherence to study protocol.
- Inform PI of deviations from study protocol.
- Attend project meetings.
- Keep detailed records for experiments.
- Maintain a high level of accuracy for all work.
Perform other duties as assigned. Other General Duties:
- Process tissue samples from mice and maintain biorepository with samples
- Gather and compile data; assist in developing and setting up database files and performing statistical calculations.
- Maintenance of lab equipment and supplies
- Histology skills including tissue sectioning for RNA processing, laser capture microdissection,
- Maintain regular communication with appropriate study personnel, collaborators and clinic/hospital staff regarding subjects' questions, concerns or complications
- Monitor adherence to study protocol
- Inform PI of deviations from study protocol
- Attend project meetings
- Monitor study supplies, maintaining appropriate stocks
- A bachelor's degree in a biological science and solid experience with molecular biology and cell biology techniques are required.
- The ideal candidate will be highly self-motivated, dependable, and capable of working independently in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Competency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and Adobe Photoshop.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE