Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Pacific Biosciences is seeking a talented, driven well-rounded and experienced Logistics Manager to be responsible for managing the flow of materials from the source of supply directly to the customer and/or third-party logistics provider.
The ideal candidate has the skill and vision necessary to lead the set-up, implementation and day-to-day operations of a scalable “world class” receiving, storage, and distribution strategy for the company. This person must have experience in all aspects of Logistics management; including, export compliance, reagents and chemicals, cold-chain shipping, large instrument shipping, and strong interpersonal skills for dealing with all levels of the organization.
The candidate must have demonstrated the ability to pursue innovative solutions based on an assessment of business requirements. This person should have a successful track record of playing a leadership role in the selection and implementation of Logistics systems, including; bar coding and shipment traceability. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to smoothly transition between a “hands-on” mode of management to a “coaching and empowerment role” and back as circumstances dictate.
This Position reports to the Senior Director of Supply Chain.
• Responsible for the strategic planning of internal and external logistics operations. Play an active role in designing and implementing scalable “best practice” inventory control systems (inventory accuracy, process excellence, LEAN techniques, KANBAN, and bar coding) including, Direct Fulfillment.
• Direct all receiving, stockroom and shipping activities to ensure that company business needs are met.
• Responsible for internal communications and presentations related to key performance metrics, program updates and on-going program information.
• Manages logistics-related data to support internal and external customers in the day-to-day general areas of, supply, technical requirements, safety and documentation development, and maintenance. Investigates potential risk and other matters of significance, and provides and implements solutions.
• Negotiates with Logistic supply partners to meet technical requirements. Manage on-going Logistic supply partner relationships.
• Works in conjunction with various parties such as sales operations and field support to handle complaints and ensure support plans are in place to maintain long-term customer satisfaction.
• Selects and hires employees. Trains and evaluates employees to enhance performance and work product. Addresses performance issues and makes recommendations for personnel actions.
• Drive effective change which directly contributes to reduced costs, increased revenue, enhanced efficiency, and other improvements company-wide.
• Experienced in ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 requirements and implementation.
• Play an active role in working with Finance and Manufacturing to establish a roadmap for the implementation of systems compliant with Sarbanes Oxley, ISO, and FDA.
• Prepares and recommends operating and personnel budgets for approval. Monitors spending for adherence to budget, recommends variances as necessary.
• Root cause analysis and problem resolution for all logistics operations.
• Willing to work hand in hand with Hourly employees to ensure the job gets done.
• A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in an ISO certified organization; experience in a Life Science environment working with consumables is a must.
• ERP centric thinker, proven track record of using ERP driven process controls for both materials and personnel management; query programming and/or IT project management a plus.
• Large- and small-company experience, ideally in leading manufacturing in a rapid-growth environment.
• In depth knowledge of International shipments into European and Asian countries. Understanding of customs clearance and VAT requirements associated with importing goods into these countries.
• Experience with shipping large capital items that require special handling.
• Experience with shipping temperature controlled items with dry ice
• Have established relationships with shippers such as Federal Express, Express Air, Main Freight, etc.
• A proven track record of delivering on commitments within timeline and budget is required.
• Demonstrated high level skills in project management.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Excellent written and oral skills.
• Strong mentoring, team building and alignment skills with the ability to drive new concepts.
• Proven track record of people management.
• Self-starter and a team player that will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Routinely engages in independent thought and judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
• Experience using SAP
• Undergraduate degree preferred, MBA a plus.
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the design, development and commercialization of innovative tools for biological research. The company has developed a novel approach to studying the synthesis and regulation of DNA, RNA and protein. Combining recent advances in nanofabrication, biochemistry, molecular biology, surface chemistry and optics, Pacific Biosciences has created a powerful technology platform called single molecule, real-time, or SMRT™, technology. SMRT technology enables real-time analysis of biomolecules with single molecule resolution, which has the potential to transform the understanding of biological systems by providing a window into these systems that has not previously been open for scientific study.