Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The Regeneron Genetics Center is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company organized to collaborate with health systems and research groups to elucidate, on a large scale, genetic factors that cause or influence a range of human diseases. Building upon Regeneron's strengths in mouse genetics and genetics-driven drug discovery and development, the Center will specialize in ultra-high-throughput exome sequencing and computational biology; discovery of genotype-phenotype associations through linkage to well-annotated de-identified patient electronic medical records; and validation of discoveries using Regeneron’s VelociGene® technology. Our interests encompass a breadth of different areas such as Mendelian and family frameworks, large-scale population genetics (both common and rare variants), and gene-gene interactions. Program goals include target discovery, indication discovery, and patient-disease stratification. Objectives include advancing basic science around the world through public sharing of discoveries, providing clinically-valuable insights to physicians and patients of collaborating health-care systems, and identifying novel targets for drug development.
High-throughput genome sequencing technologies have changed the face of genomic science, and as the scale of genomic data sets grow exponentially, cloud computing solutions are becoming essential. So, we are looking for a Cloud Developer with a passion for bioinformatics and a desire to contribute to the genomic medicine revolution. In this role, the cloud developer will partner with technical teams and senior architects to analyze technical and non-technical requirements to build cloud-based solutions for processing of genomic and health record data in DNAnexus and the Amazon cloud. Regular activities will include the use of scripting technologies, along with AWS API calls, DNAnexus platform work, and third-party products.
The developer will assess the trade-offs between different solutions as it relates to the integration between external and internal systems using impact analysis. The developer should also be proficient in developing systems using different technologies, and will need to communicate the results back to the technical teams and senior architects. Cloud developers will also work with end-users to optimize integration and user-experience.
- Defines the system landscape, identify gaps between the current and desired end-states, and delivers cloud-based solutions
- Recommends alternate choices, trade-offs, and impact analysis
- Works with technical teams, vendor partners, and senior architects to finalize specifications related to integration between numerous systems
- Understands security and identifies encryption and controls needed to protect information
- Collaborates with enterprise architects and information architects to ensure cloud services align to roadmaps and understand the effect on the organization’s information architecture
- Liaises with external providers to resolve any issues in the functionality and interoperability of new cloud applications, cloud-based infrastructure, and other cloud services with existing IT systems
- Coordinates testing efforts to identify and resolve system integration issues
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent work experience, and 2-5+ years experience. Experience should include:
- Demonstrated experience working with distributed & parallel computing environments, data warehouse and databases Hadoop, HBase, & Hive are plusses
- Infrastructure-as-a-Service platforms (Amazon Web Services, Rackspace, AWS, HP, Citrix, Eucalyptus or VMware, etc.)
- Experience with Agile or iterative development methodologies
- Experience with integration of cloud computing with on-premise solutions
- Experience with genomics Platform-as-a-Service is preferred
- NGS sequence analysis in the cloud, or related research experience preferred
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron Genetics Center’s unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Regeneron or the Regeneron Genetics Center about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Regeneron or the Regeneron Genetics Center via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of the Regeneron Genetics Center, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Regeneron or the Regeneron Genetics Center for this position and a valid agreement with either Regeneron or the Regeneron Genetics Center is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Regeneron or Regeneron Genetics Center agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
RGC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.