Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate- Mammalian Gene Expression - 77967
The Genomics West Division at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab is seeking an experienced Research Associate. Under general supervision, the will carry out various types of molecular biology experiments as part of several projects aimed at understanding how mammalian gene expression is regulated. Candidates should have prior experience with molecular biology techniques (molecular cloning, genotyping, etc.). Experience with mouse handling and mammalian tissue culture is desired but not required. Candidates should be capable of working as part of a team, have the ability to safely perform work in a laboratory environment, and have a willingness to learn new methods as priorities and technologies change.
The selected individual will be hired at the Research Associate or Sr. Research Associate classification based on the candidate's level of skills and experience.
Specific Job Duties
• Prepare DNA or RNA from mammalian tissue/cell samples and use PCR-based techniques to genotype or measure the gene expression of purified samples.
• Perform chromatin immunoprecipitation-sequencing (ChIP-seq, including tissue crosslinking, antibody pull-downs, and sequence library construction) on mammalian tissue samples.
• Perform molecular cloning to prepare mammalian gene regulatory elements for testing in transgenic assays.
• Perform tissue microdissection to collect samples for molecular biology experiments described above.
• Analyze experimental results, generate reports, present findings, and provide recommendations on how to further improve assays.
• Maintain careful records of all experiments performed.
• Meet regularly with supervisor and other team members to discuss project progress and provide recommendations to improve experimental pipeline
• As the need arises, assist with animal husbandry tasks (mouse ear tagging, tail biopsy, setting up breedings) required for ongoing projects in the lab.
• As genomics technologies evolve, assist with optimizing or designing new assays for the study of mammalian gene regulation.
• Maintain a clean and safe laboratory work area and instruments required to perform work
Essential duties for Sr. Research Associate -
In addition to the job duties described above, the Sr. Research Associate will:
• Operate at a higher level of independence and responsibility when carrying out assignments.
• Serve as a technical resource to other members in the group and recommend process and database improvements.
• Assist in project coordination, mentoring RA's and students and troubleshoot more advanced molecular cloning experiments.
Candidate must be willing to work with human tissue samples, to include, but not be limited to:
• Processing human tissue for chromatin immunoprecipitation
Candidate must also be willing to work with transgenic mouse facility, to include, but not be limited to:
• Animal tissue microsection
• Small animal ear tagging
• Small animal tail biopsy