Software Developer 3- Integrated Microbial Genome (IMG) System - 78574
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (Berkeley Lab) has an exciting Software Developer opportunity available to support the Integrated Microbial Genome (IMG) System. The selected individual will be responsible for development of user interfaces for the IMG data management and analysis system as well as developing, implementing and maintaining analysis tools and web based User Interfaces for IMG data marts. This is a one year term appointment with possibility of renewal upon satisfactory performance and funding.
Please note: Work will be performed at 2 locations, Berkeley Lab's Biological Data Management and Technology Center (BDMTC) of the Computational Research Division (CRD) located in Berkeley, CA and the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) located in Walnut Creek, CA. Will report to the IMG Data Analysis Tools Group Lead.
Specific Job Duties
• Work as part of a team to develop user interfaces for the Integrated Microbial Genome (IMG) data management and analysis system. Work performed in close collaboration with JGI’s microbial genome and metagenome program scientists.
• Develop, implement and maintain analysis tools and Web based User Interfaces for IMG data marts.
• Provide support for IMG’s scientific users.
• Exercise independent judgment and select appropriate solutions.
• Apply analytical skills and creativity to troubleshoot problems of diverse scope.
• B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Life Sciences, or related field or equivalent experience.
• At least five years experience as a software engineer working in a team environment.
• Expertise in CGI programming with Perl and/or Java and integrating web and database technology.
• Experience with SQL.
• Understanding of cross-browser capability issues.
• Experience with source control, revision management, object-oriented design.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently in an environment with short deadlines and evolving requirements.
• Self starter, detail oriented, and able to work independently.
• Experience with Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS.
• Experience with at least one of the following RDBMS: Oracle, SQLite or MySQL.
• Experience with biological data, computational biology tools and resources, such as Blast, Genbank, protein and domain databases.
This is a 1 year term appointment with the possibility of renewal and with the possibility of conversion to career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Work will be performed at Berkeley Lab's Biological Data Management and Technology Center (BDMTC) of the Computational Research Division (CRD) located in Berkeley, CA and the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) located in Walnut Creek, CA
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.