Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
We are seeking a skilled Programmer to join our growing Bioinformatics team. The post-holder will have core responsibilities in building and maintaining the underpinning workflows that assure timely and accurate processing of all raw data that is produced at Edinburgh Genomics.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining high-quality pipelines for the processing of large quantities of next-generation sequencing data.
- Developing robust, scalable and secure integrated solutions to high-throughput processing using the facility's high-performance data store and computing installation.
- To implement new pipelines, improve existing ones and improve the facility Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) working in close collaboration with laboratory staff and bioinformaticians.
- Providing training to facility bioinformaticians and other scientists in the use of data processing pipelines and LIMS integration.
- Keeping comprehensive, high-quality and up to date records of tasks performed and reporting to the Edinburgh Genomics Head of Bioinformatics and Bioinformatics Operations Manager.
The closing date is 5pm GMT on 27 May 2014
- Graduate qualifications in informatics, bioinformatics or computing applied to biological questions, at least to MSc level.
- A high level of programming skill and several years of demonstrable experience in programming, particularly in Python, Perl and Shell scripting.
- Experience and knowledge of good software engineering practice, including use of version control systems (e.g. SVN, Git) and implementation of unit tests.
- Experience working in Linux cluster computing environments with job queue systems like SGE.
- Good interpersonal skills and efficient time and project management skills.
The following aspects will be favourably regarded:
- Experience in bioinformatics programming applied to genomics problems.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequence data.
- Experience with SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
For more information regarding contact, job description, requirements, conditions and how to apply you should go to:
Edinburgh Genomics is a thriving, high impact, international genomics facility based at the University of Edinburgh, providing access to the latest next-generation sequencing, SNP genotyping, microarray and bioinformatics technologies to researchers worldwide. The facility is the second largest in the UK, with a turnover in excess of £3 million per year. Using our state of the art data generation and analysis equipment, we collaborate with research teams to enable leading-edge genomics research in all areas of the biomedical, agricultural and environmental sciences. Edinburgh Genomics is very much a research facility, and we pride ourselves on trialling and implementing new technologies as quickly as we can.