Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The Single Cell Application Specialist will serve as a technical resource for Product Managers, R&D Scientists and global field support teams to ensure Fluidigm’s success in the single cell genomics (SCG) market. The primary responsibility of this role is to conduct proof of performance studies, complete competitive testing and analysis and develop educational tools for single cell genomic applications. The Single Cell Genomics Application Specialist will manage the confirmation test site program, deliver technical presentations at scientific meetings and promotional events, and lead and actively participate in the development of technical literature that supports the use of Fluidigm products for single cell analysis for both internal and external use. Additionally, the application specialist will represent the needs of end-user customers on product development and provide strategic and tactical input to impact on product direction and strategy.
Responsibility will be shared between oversight of technical issues related to Fluidigm’s current products (BioMark HD and C1 System) and providing insight into and acting as the domain expert in the development of next generation single cell applications, products and workflows.
Deliverables include the following:
- Whitepapers and other educational tools to communicate best practices in cell handling and primary analysis.
- Develop copy , data and graphics for data sheet, application notes & technical slide decks
- Manage scientific collaborations to generate data for publication, presentation and marketing literature
- Recruit biological material for development/validation
- Submit abstracts for presentation at scientific meetings
- Provide advanced support to Tech Support on troubleshooting
- Pre-sales support of competitive engagements
The ideal candidate for this role will have a strong molecular and cell biology laboratory background and a demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of the genomic analysis workflow with particular emphasis on sequencing applications. The role will also require working closely with cross-functional teams and external collaborators, so strong collaborative skills are a must.
The role stands at the intersection of traditional cell biology methods and emerging molecular biology techniques, therefore strong domain knowledge of quantitative PCR and hands-on expertise in cell handling are mandatory, as well as knowledge and experience in applications technologies such as next generation sequencing and gene expression analysis and. Candidates must be able to quickly develop functional knowledge of new technologies. Candidates must also demonstrate the ability to understand technologies in solution and customer context.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work autonomously and still have a big impact. Candidates must be highly organized and able to adapt to a dynamic environment, learn new applications quickly, and show a willingness to investigate and solve complex issues. Candidates must be fluent in English, with strong verbal and written communication skills, especially technical writing. Public speaking is a big part of the job, so a candidate must be experienced and skilled as a presenter. Travel may be required as much as 25% of the time.
An ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 5 years of industry experience and MS/PhD in appropriate technical disciplines.
- Experience: 5-8 + years (or equivalent) of experience in a profession related to gene expression and/or sequence analysis. Experience as a laboratory manager or technical support in a molecular biology laboratory is preferred.
- Master’s or PhD Degree (M.S./PhD) in a life science (molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry preferred), or higher degree with relevant work experience from a four year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of real-time PCR platforms including use of: 7500, ViiA 7, , QuantStudio or BioMark HD
- Hands-on experience of next generation sequencing platforms and technique
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information regarding Fluidigm’s products and single cell applications verbally and in writing - demonstrated creative, writing and editing skills; proficient in Microsoft Powerpoint, Excel and Word.
Fluidigm (NASDAQ:FLDM) develops, manufactures and markets microfluidic systems for growth markets in the life sciences and in applied markets. Fluidigm’s systems consist of instruments, software, integrated fluidic circuits (IFCs), high-performance assays for gene expression and genotyping, and primers for sample preparation for next-generation sequencing. Fluidigm technology enables customers to perform thousands of sophisticated biochemical measurements in parallel on samples smaller than the content of a single cell, with nanoliter volumes of reagents, in half the area of a credit card. The Company’s integrated customer solutions are designed to significantly simplify experimental workflows, increase throughput and reduce costs while delivering excellent data quality.
Based in South San Francisco, Fluidigm offers an exciting and collegial working environment with excellent compensation and benefits, including stock options.