Layer, Chiang, et al. Genome Biology
We are seeking an experienced, highly motivated biostatistician to lead a group leveraging genomic information for interpreting exploratory clinical trial data. This group interfaces with multiple scientific groups in Novartis, from basic research through translational research and clinical development, and is responsible for building and validating rigorous predictive classifiers of patient therapeutic response.
The successful candidates will be self-directed and highly collaborative, and will:
- Provide strategic leadership for the NGDx analysis portfolio; align own team with clinical development teams and clinical biostatistics teams, and with NGDx strategic goals
- Provide leadership in the development and application of cutting-edge methods
- Mentor and develop team members who serve as bioinformatics/biostatistics experts on cross functional teams
- Work closely with other bioinformatics and biology teams to build univariate and multivariate tests, predicting clinical outcome based on genomic assays and relevant clinical parameters
- Be responsible for the validity and reproducibility of reported results
- Be responsible for establishing data reporting processes and standards
- Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Statistics, Bioinformatics or a related field
- 7+ years experience (post-PhD), with 2+ years management experience
- Strong track record of publication and team leadership
- Proficiency in a statistical programming environment; R is highly preferred
- Experience with clinical development of drugs and/or diagnostics, with experience preferred in building and validating biomarker tests based on high-dimensionality data (such as genomic data)
- Ability to clearly communicate statistical concepts and results to diverse team members
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with regulatory data requirements a strong plus
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and/or genomics is a strong plus
To be considered for this position, please apply at the following url:
About Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research:
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research is the global pharmaceutical research organization for Novartis. The NIBR research network is comprised of more than 6,000 scientists, physicians, and business professionals working together across 10 locations around the world to discover innovative medicines that treat diseases with high unmet medical need. Novartis employs more than 2,000 associates in Cambridge, making it the city’s largest private employer and ideally situated in one of the leading life science communities in the world.
NIBR conducts research globally with sites in Emeryville, California; Cambridge, MA; East Hanover, NJ; Basel, Switzerland; Horsham, UK; and Shanghai, China.
About the Next Generation Sequencing Group
The ability to sequence each patient’s genome in great detail, quickly and inexpensively, is changing the practice of medicine. At NIBR, we are dedicated to the development of therapies that improve clinical outcomes for patients. Next generation sequencing and other cutting-edge molecular characterization technologies will be important tools for discovering breakthrough therapeutics, and for delivering the right medicines to the right patients.
The NGDx team leverages cutting-edge technologies such as next generation sequencing for characterizing human tissues, by individual lesions and by pathway signatures relevant to therapeutic response. The goal is to develop a robust and comprehensive molecular profile for each patient. To this end, the group will begin by developing capabilities to characterize therapeutically relevant genetic lesions and pathway signatures in human cancer.