Layer, Chiang, et al. Genome Biology
The successful candidate can choose to be based in our Menlo Park headquarters or our San Francisco office (with travel to Menlo Park)
Do you want to use your software engineering talents to provide the infrastructure to solve problems of real scientific and medical importance? Are you bored with the idea of simply contributing to yet another social networking site or fixing bugs in some large company’s search engine? Do you have a desire to be part of a company creating cutting edge technology that is uncovering the mysteries of life itself? Do you want to work at a company that uses robots and lasers and nanotechnology to see a single DNA molecule sequence in real-time? Pacific Biosciences is seeking a talented software engineer to build tools and interfaces to provide the infrastructure for the software that enables SMRT (Single Molecule, Real Time) sequencing data to address diverse sequencing applications areas. The candidate will develop robust, reliable and performant software infrastructure components, documentation and tests that enable our team to rapidly create a diversity of software solutions.
• Work in an exciting multi-disciplinary organization of software and hardware engineers, bioinformaticians, chemists, and molecular biologists developing state-of-the-art, single-molecule, genomic analysis systems.
• Create a variety of infrastructure components that will be the foundational software layers used by other developers within the company including web services, UI components, sophisticated visualization tools, LIMS interfaces, and regulatory/compliance based APIs.
• Quickly identify solutions to complex data processing and automation problems for use in production instrument software and internal tools; provide methods or prototypes for concept evaluation.
• Design, develop, integrate and test analysis pipeline components for deployment in production software; develop optimized implementations to maximize performance and throughput on available hardware.
• Write design and functional specifications as well as test plans for peer review; maintain software development practices adhering to company standards for coding and unit/functional test coverage.
• M.S. in computer science, electrical engineering or in physical science disciplines; candidates with a similar B.S. degree and a high level of relevant experience will also be considered.
• Candidates with experience in Python, Scala or C++ are preferred
• 4+ years of experience with client and server side web application development
• 4+ years of experience developing reusable components, automated tests, utilizing formal software development processes, employing best practices, understanding of FDA compliance regulations
• Experience maintaining software projects under source control with git, svn, p4, or similar.
• Experience with multithreading programming and/or IPC technologies.
• Experience in the life-sciences tools domain, especially DNA sequencing, is preferred but not required.
• Preference is shown to candidates with strong analytical and development skills who demonstrate the capability to bring solutions beyond the prototype stage for deployment in performance-critical production software.
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the design, development and commercialization of innovative tools for biological research. The company has developed a novel approach to studying the synthesis and regulation of DNA, RNA and protein. Combining recent advances in nanofabrication, biochemistry, molecular biology, surface chemistry and optics, Pacific Biosciences has created a powerful technology platform called single molecule, real-time, or SMRT™, technology. SMRT technology enables real-time analysis of biomolecules with single molecule resolution, which has the potential to transform the understanding of biological systems by providing a window into these systems that has not previously been open for scientific study.