Layer, Chiang, et al. Genome Biology
PacBio is revolutionizing DNA sequencing, and is seeking a talented individual for an exceptional career opportunity in our Technical Support group. Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor in a high-energy growth environment. We will give special consideration to candidates with Linux or sysadmin experience.
PacBio has introduced a platform for single molecule, real-time detection of biological events designed to transform the future of medicine, basic science, agriculture and bio-fuels. Our mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes, and interprets data from living systems through innovative tools for biological research.
The selected individual will work from our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA and occasionally travel to customer sites.
• Resolve incoming customer inquiries related to technical and scientific issues. Inquiries will be received via phone, email, and our Web portal.
• As one of the Bioinformatics Specialist you will be responsible for supporting customer installations and compute configuration for our open source SMRT™ Analysis software suite.
• Establish and maintain lines of communication with field personnel (Field Application Scientists, Field Service Engineers, Sales), as well as internal personnel (Applications Lab, R&D, Product Marketing).
• Contribute to the on-going development of a web-based Solutions Knowledge Base to enable customer self-service.
• Analyze customer cases and deliver feedback to Product Managers and Tech Writers for future product improvements.
• M.S./Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, or Computer Science or 3+ years of related experience preferred.
- Must have a “can do” attitude and be flexible in a fast-paced start up like environment.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently, collaboratively and with minimal supervision.
- Must have strong written, verbal, and telephone communication skills.
- Ability to balance several projects and customers concurrently.
- Customer-focused individual with the empathy and skills to understand and address customer concerns.
- Must be an intelligent individual with an excellent work ethic, exceptional judgment, and unquestionable integrity.
- Able and willing to travel as necessary.
- Strong Linux/Unix operation and administration.
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with installation, configuration, and use of open-source software.
- Familiarity with and experience of current bioinformatics tools, algorithms, and software packages in the areas of NGS, genomics, sequence alignment, genome assembly, genome visualization, structural variation discovery, and epigenetics.
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with common data types and file formats used in bioinformatics, and familiarity with public data repositories.
- Experience with software and network troubleshooting.
- Experience with distributed computing environments.
- Proficiency with a scripting language such as Perl or Python is required.
- Proficiency with a statistical package such as R.
- Cloud computing experience is desired.
Preference will be shown to candidates who can demonstrate good understanding of molecular genetics and next-generation sequencing analysis.
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the design, development and commercialization of innovative tools for biological research. The company has developed a novel approach to studying the synthesis and regulation of DNA, RNA and protein. Combining recent advances in nanofabrication, biochemistry, molecular biology, surface chemistry and optics, Pacific Biosciences has created a powerful technology platform called single molecule, real-time, or SMRT™, technology. SMRT technology enables real-time analysis of biomolecules with single molecule resolution, which has the potential to transform the understanding of biological systems by providing a window into these systems that has not previously been open for scientific study.