Layer, Chiang, et al. Genome Biology
This position is for a highly motivated Senior Staff level engineer with proven experience in Mechanical Systems Engineering. You will be responsible for the design, development, technical management and verification of complex mechanical and liquid handling systems to automate the biochemistry protocols for whole human genome sequencing. You will be a key member of a team of engineers, scientists and third party collaborators focused on developing and qualifying these technologies for the Complete Genomics sequencing platforms. This position will work in our Mountain View, CA facility.
In addition to strong engineering skills, the successful candidate will have a proven background in systems engineering, technical project management, excellent collaboration and communication skills and a willingness to do what it takes to meet commitments and stakeholders’ needs. Experience in analytical life sciences instrumentation and/or semiconductor capital equipment would be a good background for the requirements of this position.
-Design and development of electromechanical systems, pneumatics and fluidics:
*Mechanical positioning, fluidic coupling and environmental control of microfluidic biochips
*Interface between multiple liquid handling systems
*Precision fluid delivery of a variety of reagents in a defined protocol
- Industrial scale (light factory) automation:
*Automated manipulation and shuttling of biochips between discrete modules within a large system
- Oversee, monitor, coordinate, and communicate the activities of development partners to meet project deliverables
- Oversee creation and organization of the 3D CAD models for the entire system; eventual transfer of a complete documentation package to Documentation Control (Operations) at the point of Design Transfer
- Manage the engineering change process to ensure validated and complete implementation of necessary design changes to the system and system documentation
Mechanical Systems Integration:
- Working with Project Management, Quality and Regulatory to identify all critical compliance requirements, project milestones and their interdependencies:
*Definition of critical interface parameters
*Assessment of system level risks, and proposing, evaluating and implementing mitigations
- Collaborate with internal and external engineering and scientific groups as needed to ensure an integrated design that meets the system requirements
- Work as a key member of the Verification and Validation team to qualify the performance of the fully integrated system
Design Controls and Regulatory knowledge (desired):
- Familiar with 21 CFR 820.30 requirements for Design Controls, EN 61010 and EN 60601 3rd ed. and EN 14975
- BS (MS preferred) in mechanical engineering or similar education and 15+ years of related experience
- 5+ years of system integration or project management experience leading teams of technical professionals
- Solid understanding of engineering fundamentals and analytical methods
- 5+ years of experience with solid-modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience in the development of complex, precision mechanical systems from concept through production
- Experience with microfluidics and automated liquid handling a plus
- Experience in managing third party development groups and suppliers – Specifically concerning specifications and requirements, deliverables and milestones, cost and schedules
- Design for Safety, Reliability, Manufacturing and Service of high duty cycle, continuous operation electromechanical and fluidics systems
- Experience designing for high volume manufacturing techniques – tooling, fixturing and molding
Please apply directly at:
Complete Genomics does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website, employees or Human Resources.
Complete Genomics will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Complete Genomics and will be processed accordingly without fee.
Complete Genomics has the sole discretion to determine with whom we will enter into a contract. If you wish to work with Complete Genomics, please contact the Human Resources department at email@example.com.
Complete Genomics is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
Complete Genomics is a leader in accurate whole human genomic sequencing based in Mountain View, California. Our mission is to sequence one million human genomes, providing researchers and clinicians the genetic information needed to improve human health through the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of genetic diseases. Complete Genomics is focused on building a new generation of high-throughput sequencing technology and developing new and exciting research, clinical and consumer applications. The company spans multiple specialties: genomics, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioinformatics, software, hardware engineering, semiconductors, operations, research and development, and others.
Complete Genomics is a U.S. subsidiary of BGI, the world’s largest genomics services company headquartered in Shenzhen, China. BGI provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for commercial science, medical, agricultural and environmental applications. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting collaborative projects globally with leading research institutions.
Through the dedication and hard work of our employees, Complete is working towards a lasting impact in the genomics and health fields. Employees live by our company values which focus on our customers, innovation, commitment to our word, teamwork, timely decisions, and operational excellence. Complete is an inclusive, collaborative environment with fun socials and company events, regular communication forums, and community program involvement. We are looking for people who thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment, who are team oriented, self-motivated, and committed to contributing to the success of our company.