Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Computational Biologist Project Scientist--77481
The Genomics West Division (GNGH) at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (Berkeley Lab) is seeking an experienced Computational Biologist. Will work as part of the GNGH program and perform research in functional studies of non-coding sequences in the human and mouse genome. This will involve the development and, with support by technical staff, execution of research studies. Will collaborate with peers within and outside the group and prepare research findings for publication. Will present research results at scientific conferences and meetings. Position will support the preparation and submission of grant applications. Position will report to one of the GNGH PIs (Visel or Pennacchio).
Position is responsible for short- and long-term planning, organizing, coordinating and managing and overseeing the overall technical and support aspects of laboratory operations. Position will work closely with GNGH PIs (Pennacchio/Visel), postdocs, staff research associates, students, and administrators to help attain the goals and objectives of all funded projects in the group. This position will initiate, develop and execute plans related to all aspects of lab management with a focus on continuous improvement and safety. Position responsibilities include supervision of both exempt and non-exempt staff.
Specific Job Duties
• Develop experimental and computational methods for functional genomic studies in the mouse model.
• Design and execute experiments targeted at impactful insights in the field of functional genomic research.
• Remain at the cutting edge of research in the field through studies of the current literature and regular attendance of relevant seminars, conferences and meetings.
• In coordination with PIs, develop research proposals, execute experiments, analyze data.
• Prepare research findings for publication as lead or supporting author (depending on role in project) in top peer-reviewed journals.
• Regular presentation of research findings at group meetings.
• Attends and presents research results at scientific conferences and meetings
Organizational Planning and Management
• In coordination with PIs, oversee scientific aspects of ongoing funded studies, including development and review of research designs, instructing technical staff in implementation of study designs, reviewing data, leading staff towards accomplishment of research goals.
• Support PIs in accomplishing goals of funded projects, including tracking of milestones.
• Coordinate laboratory technicians to optimize laboratory organization and operations.
• Prepare and summarize results from ongoing team effort research projects for progress reports and scientific presentations.
• Provide leadership and oversight to manage the short and long term strategic planning and organization of all technical aspects of the laboratory.
• Develop and implement a lab and safety orientation process for new researchers and research staff. Ensure that all personnel are adequately trained and maintain all training records.
• Participate in long-range planning and budgeting processes; determining project personnel and equipment needs.
• Space allocation of office/desk and laboratory benches for researchers.
• Support PIs in hiring, training, supervising and evaluating the performance of laboratory scientific and support staff; develop work performance standards.
• Assist with interviewing, hiring, and termination of laboratory staff. Provide feedback to technical staff supervisors for the purpose of appraising performance.
• Support PIs in scheduling and assigning work and developing priorities; provide technical expertise as needed or requested; support PIs in taking appropriate disciplinary/corrective actions as needed.
• Laboratory Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Support
• Establish and revise laboratory policies and procedures; develop and maintain appropriate control and quality assurance procedures; ensure compliance with current safety requirements; coordinate laboratory activities with other state and federal agencies.
• Ensure that lab and personnel are compliant with all regulatory issues associated with Institutional safety.
• Maintain current knowledge of advances in laboratory technology; federal and state regulations; and laboratory management.
Key Success Factors
• Ph.D. in genetics, genome sciences, molecular biology, biochemistry or related field.
• Minimum of 3 years postdoctoral experience in functional genomic studies.
• Track record of scientific productivity, as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
• Demonstrated experience utilizing tools for gene and genome annotation and analysis.
• Experience establishing effective collaboration.
• Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Enthusiastic leader with a proven ability to build strong interpersonal relationships and teams within and outside their sphere of immediate influence.
• Ability to independently establish priorities; perform multiple projects simultaneously with short deadlines and frequent interruptions, anticipate and identify potential issues; and complete assignments in a timely manner.
• Interact well with members of a multi-disciplinary research team and have proficient written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and assist with the preparation of research data for presentations within the principal investigator’s lab.
• Familiarity with developing research proposals that lead to continued funding in the area of functional genomics.
• Strong organizational, analytical, interpersonal and excellent writing skills.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct and perform individual and collaborative research.
• Effectively interact with a broad range of colleagues with tact and diplomacy
This is a 1 year term appointment with the possibility of renewal up to a maximum of five years based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Work will be performed at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab in Berkeley, CA.
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
How to Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl77481genome and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.