• Recent PhD (within the last 4 years) in Biology, Bioinformatics or a related field.
• Experience in any of the following areas: Biosynthetic clusters, plant-microbe interactions, microbial ecology, metagenomics.
• Knowledge Biology/Biochemistry and understanding of key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, microbial phylogeny).
• Familiarity with molecular biology, comparative genomics, metagenomics, and microbial ecology.
• Comfortable with UNIX utilities and filesystems.
• Ability to use scripting tools in order to mine data files.
• Experience with processing and analysis of genomic/metagenomic data.
• Experience with using standard bioinformatics tools and databases.
• Ability to independently carry out creative research with tenacity and of the highest quality standards.
This is a 1 year term appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Work will be performed at the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA. Job may require occasional travel, weekend, and after-hours work. Detailed information about the Joint Genome Institute program can be found on the World Wide Web at the following location: http://www.jgi.doe.gov.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a safe and diverse workforce.