Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Computational Biologist Postdoc Fellow- Microbial Genomic and Metagenomics Datasets - 77073
The Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute- DOE JGI (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting Postdoctoral Research opportunity available for a Computational Biologist Postdoc. Will directly leverage JGI computational resources and available data for massive-scale genomic research and sequence-based science of relevance to the DOE. Will participate in the comparative analysis of microbial genomic and metagenomics datasets available through the IMG system. Will also participate in the development of novel methods for metagenome data analysis, and comparisons across thousands of samples and isolate microbial genomes. Will work independently and contributing as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team of biologists, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and software developers. Positions report to the Prokaryotic Super Program head.
Specific Job Duties
• Interrogation and interpretation of microbial genomes and metagenomes.
• Application of standard bioinformatics tools for the analysis of genomic/metagenomic data.
• Design and implementation of new approaches for genome/metagenome analysis.
• Actively participate in any of the following projects: Biosynthetic cluster identification, classification and analysis, comparative analysis of root nodulating bacteria, metagenomic protein family comparative analysis and classification.
• Publish in peer review journals and deliver scientific presentations at scientific meetings
• Development of software for organization and handling of metagenomic data and automation of analytical procedures.
• Develop and present updates and reports at group meetings.
• Support the development of user interface for navigation and data comparisons across thousands of genomic/metagenomic samples
• Recent PhD (within the last 4 years) in Biology, Bioinformatics or a related field.
• Experience in any of the following areas: Biosynthetic clusters, plant-microbe interactions, microbial ecology, metagenomics.
• Knowledge Biology/Biochemistry and understanding of key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, microbial phylogeny).
• Familiarity with molecular biology, comparative genomics, metagenomics, and microbial ecology.
• Comfortable with UNIX utilities and filesystems.
• Ability to use scripting tools in order to mine data files.
• Experience with processing and analysis of genomic/metagenomic data.
• Experience with using standard bioinformatics tools and databases.
• Ability to independently carry out creative research with tenacity and of the highest quality standards.
This is a 1 year term appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Work will be performed at the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA. Job may require occasional travel, weekend, and after-hours work. Detailed information about the Joint Genome Institute program can be found on the World Wide Web at the following location: http://www.jgi.doe.gov.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a safe and diverse workforce.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl77073Genomeweb and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.