Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Associate Scientist – Custom Gene Synthesis
Location: Cambridge, MA
Who We Are:
At Gen9, we are transforming Synthetic Biology through our high-volume, automated next generation synthesis of DNA constructs and libraries. As researchers’ understanding of gene sequence data increases, their ability to design and improve genes, pathways and organisms using synthetic biology techniques will also increase. Gen9 is helping catalyze this new biological revolution with large amounts of high quality, inexpensive genes.
Gen9 has produced the first ‘fab’ for synthetic biology – the BioFab® platform, which was chosen by “The Scientist” as the #1 innovation of 2012. The Gen9 BioFab® platform was conceived, designed and implemented to fill the gene synthesis void.
We are seeking an exceptional and highly motivated individual with the right experience to join Gen9’s R&D team to work on product development. The successful candidate will participate in the development and scale-up of team oriented, milestone-driven projects enabling an innovative custom gene synthesis process. Strong technical skills and the ability to develop creative solutions to solve challenging problems are essential. Communication and organizational skills are also key attributes for success in this position.
• Under minimal supervision, you will design and execute product development for custom gene synthesis products such as GeneByte Plus sequences of significant complexity (i.e: 10 Kb size) and enable new features within Gen9’s existing GeneBit and GeneByte products.
• Participate in the development of a technology transfer process to ensure a robust and scalable methodology for the transfer, validation and implementation of new processes and products into manufacturing.
• Collaborate with Manufacturing team members in the development of protocols and guidelines for best practices to minimize process problems. Work closely with the Manufacturing team to develop final documentation for gene synthesis.
• Analyze/organize data and prepare comprehensive reports/presentations for fellow team members and management to show progress along project timelines.
• Continuously contribute to the company’s intellectual property portfolio by documenting results in laboratory notebooks and databases.
• M.S. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering or related Biological Sciences required
• 5+ years experience in process development or a molecular biology laboratory environment
• Demonstrated expertise with molecular biology protocols including DNA amplification and other enzymatic processes, gene synthesis, next generation sequencing, bacteria culturing and plasmid prep.
• Demonstrated experience in product development and/or technology transfer is desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage numerous activities simultaneously.
• Must be highly motivated with exceptional communication, laboratory, and teamwork skills.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of team of scientists and engineers in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
• A high level of commitment and a track record of high quality work, with attention to detail.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please briefly describe your skills, knowledge, and experience with the Required Qualifications in your cover letter/email.