Allergan is a global, technology-driven multi-specialty health care company pursuing therapeutic advances to help patients live life to their fullest potential. In making this commitment, we work to develop an unparalleled level of insight into patients' wants and needs - and into the priorities and concerns of the medical specialists who treat them. To this end, we employ more than 50 percent of our work force in either research and development (R&D) or sales, ensuring our efforts are focused on innovation and our customers.
The Professional position is for a mature professional working on research projects in collaboration with staff scientist with a fair degree of independence. They are responsible for a block of research and are expected to assure scientific achievement and completion of the research project.
The Professional level position is responsible for carrying out experiments of moderate to high complexity. Given an outline of the experimental protocol, the Professional is expected to be able to develop a work plan, identify and acquire needed resources and technical expertise, and carry out the research. Emphasis is on the ability to successfully perform experiments, keep accurate records, facilitate interpretation and analysis of the data and present key finding. The professional is expected to review and stay abreast of relevant literature for scientific background and facilitate understanding and knowledge in the field of study.
The candidate must have a minimum of a BS degree in pharmacology, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, or related field, and a minimum of 5 yrs experience in academics or industry as a laboratory experimentalist. Experience in cell culture, common molecular and cell biological techniques such as quantitative RT-PCR, mutagenesis, mammalian cell transfection, and Western Blots is required, experience with in vivo models is desired, but not essential. The candidate must have proven laboratory research skills and experience, excellent communication skills, basic computer skills, and familiarity with common PC software such as Microsoft Office. They will work in a team-oriented environment as part of a dynamic research group that is focused on identifying and developing novel therapeutics.
Equivalent to 4 years college education in a specific scientific field and 4+ years specific experience; or Bachelors Degree with 2 years of specific experience or Masters-level education in a specific scientific experience and 0 years specific experience.
Essential Skills and Abilities
* Good written, verbal and computer skills
* Excellent organizational skills and record keeping is a must.
* In vivo animal handling experience is required
* Familiarity with blood and tissue collection techniques,
* Mastery of basic laboratory skills and equipment and experimental design
* Basic knowledge in cell biology techniques and molecular biology
* Experience in assay development, data handling, analysis and presentation
Favorable but not essential skills
* Prior experience in in vivo assay and compound administration
* Experience in cell culture, molecular and immunological techniques
* Experience in gene expression, cloning. QPCR and protein expression and purification
* Experience in dissection, immunohistochemical staining, microscopy and image capture and analysis