Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Competitive Benefits package
The Jackson Laboratory's JAX Mice and Clinical Research Services has a full time position as an Associate Business Unit Manager/Business Unit Manager reporting into the General Manager JAX Scientific Research Services. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving both top-line and bottom-line growth within the entire business unit while ensuring an enhanced and exceptional experience for our customers. In addition to P&L and revenue accountability, the incumbent has complete product line responsibility. The incumbent also has matrix management responsibility for the operations and delivery functions within the business unit. The incumbent has ultimate accountability and oversight for the assigned business unit.
•Define business strategy and plan. Drive execution of this plan through the Marketing & Sales, Operations & Delivery functions. Monitoring actual results and variances against budget and assisting in review of areas selected for benchmarking or effectiveness review.
•In depth understanding of the marketplace intimately through interactions with customers. Utilize this understanding to better position The Jackson Laboratory competitively for today and the future. Drive market share gain for current offerings while seeking new opportunities – either for new products/services or new markets
•Continually seek new opportunities (e.g. new products, line extensions, new markets). Identify new product opportunities that leverage core competencies and build on The Laboratory’s mission.
•Analyze, develop proposals and implement changes to improve the experience that customers have in their interactions with the business unit for the product or service that they obtain.
Location: Bar Harbor, Maine or Sacramento, CA or possible telecommuting position.
Interested individuals should apply on-line at www.jax.org/careers referring to job requisition #4209 with a cover letter and resume as one document.
• A BS degree in a Life Science, Business, Economics or Marketing is required. MS, PhD or MBA preferred with at least two years’ experience in biomedical research services.
• Strong financial background and experience with budgeting is required.
• Background and experience in establishing best Laboratory practices and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certification experience required.
• Excellent interpersonal, communications, and negotiation skills coupled with the ability to build networks, influence and motivate others are a must.
• Proven, demonstrated experience in formulating and successfully implementing programs/decisions, under tight timelines and pressure, which carry significant financial and business consequences.
• Experience in mouse-based research market and In Vivo services is preferred.
• Advanced analytical skills and market knowledge sufficient to allow incumbent to synthesize new products and services from existing resources applied in novel ways.
• Ability to travel a up to 50% of the time.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution and National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center with more than 1,500 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a facility in Sacramento, Calif., and a new genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
Founded in 1929, the Laboratory applies its eight decades of expertise in genetics to increase understanding of human disease, advancing treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease. It models and interprets genomic complexity, integrates basic research with clinical application, educates current and future scientists, and empowers the global biomedical community by providing critical data, tools and services.