Pacific Biosciences, a rapidly growing biotechnology company that is revolutionizing DNA sequencing with its state-of-art laboratory analytical equipment, is seeking a Manager of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)/Risk professional, to represent the company, both internally as the steward of PacBio’s EH&S program, and externally as a key contact representing PacBio in dealings with regulatory agencies and their inspectors, landlord-tenant matters involving hazardous materials permits and reporting, worker’s compensation insurance claim reporting, and customer EH&S support for PacBio equipment and products. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor and team player in a high-energy growth environment.
The Manager will develop and implement all EH&S Programs and activities including written programs, training, auditing, and drills, industrial hygiene monitoring, risk assessments and ergonomic evaluations, requisite OSHA and hazardous materials permits and recordkeeping, incident investigations and worker’s compensation reporting and case management, hazardous waste management, and serve as the company point of contact for all EH&S matters with agencies, inspectors, and as part of customer support and for due diligence documents.
• Develop, implement, and maintain the comprehensive PacBio EH&S Program, including: written programs, training, auditing, and drills, industrial hygiene monitoring, risk assessments and ergonomic evaluations, requisite OSHA and hazardous materials permits and recordkeeping, incident investigations, emergency response, and hazardous waste management.
• Serve as the Risk Control/Loss Manager for worker’s compensation reporting, case management, and recordkeeping. Work with Human Resources on overlap responsibilities related to loss control.
• Serve as the PacBio EH&S / Risk Manager contact for regulatory agencies, landlord hazardous materials matters, etc…
• Serve as the PacBio Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) and Laser Safety Officer (LSO).
• Work with R&D and Operations staff to ensure appropriate safety measures are developed in anticipation of new product and process designs.
• Conduct workplace ergonomic evaluations and assist with corrective actions including workstation modifications and equipment design criteria.
• Coordinate compliance and support needs with Operations (Facilities, Security, Finance, Purchasing, Materials Management, and Human Resources), Manufacturing, and R&D functions.
• Set direction and get executive and operations buy-in for the overall EH&S Program.
• Fulfill all applicable local, state and federal EH&S regulations, including OSHA, CUPA, DTSC, Fire Code, City hazardous materials permits, etc…
• Assist with the development of PacBio product Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and ensure filing of vendor MSDSs.
• Serve as the EH&S support contact for PacBio customers as it pertains to company products and due diligence documents/questionnaires.
• Serve as the Chair of both the PacBio Safety Committee and the Emergency Response Team.
• Prepare and maintain a budget for the EH&S Program, track costs, and seek new bids as needed.