Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The Jackson Laboratory of Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking a talented System Engineer to join our team.
• Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams for integrating servers, including database, e-mail, print and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
• Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies
• Act as project lead in the design and implementation of new server systems and applications, and gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
• Ensure system uptime of all servers, shared software, enterprise applications, and Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records
• Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts, and interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
• Extensive support experience for enterprise applications including e-mail and messaging, database, virtualization, application delivery systems, security software and monitoring.
• Extensive experience with Microsoft operating systems and/or Unix (Suse, CentOS, RedHat). Specialization in either Microsoft or Unix is acceptable but experience in both is highly desired.
• Working technical knowledge of Storage Area Network, Scale-out Network Attached Storage systems, Tape Libraries and data switches and data center operations.
• Knowledgeable in network switching and routing, firewall and Intrusion detection and prevention systems.
• Advanced knowledge in parallel computing systems including High Performance Compute clusters, symmetrical processing systems and other scale-out and scale-up systems.
• Travel and on-call availability is required.
Please forward a copy of your CV and cover letter to requisition #3925 at www.jax.org.
The Jackson Laboratory is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution based in Bar Harbor, Maine, with a facility in Sacramento, Calif., and a new genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn. We employ more than 200 Ph.D. scientists and a total of more than 1,400 employees. In 2011 and 2012, researchers voted The Jackson Laboratory among the world’s top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in a poll conducted by The Scientist, a magazine for people working in the life sciences. The Laboratory draws on an 83-year reputation for excellence in mammalian genetics, built on the groundbreaking discoveries of its own researchers and on the development and global distribution of the most diverse collection of genetically unique mouse strains in the world. The Jackson Laboratory is a National Cancer Institute – designated cancer center. Our research covers a broad range of genetic disorders, including cancer, diabetes, neuromuscular and neurodegenerative disorders, autoimmune disorders, and conditions related to reproduction, development and aging. The Laboratory’s mission is to discover the genetic basis for preventing, treating and curing disease, and to enable research and education for the global biomedical community.