Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The DNA Learning Center, an educational unit of the world-renowned Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, offers a range of programs and instructional materials in DNA science targeting several educational levels.
We currently seek a talented and motivated entry-level programmer to join our Educational Informatics & BioMedia group. The programmer will work with a multi-disciplinary team to design, develop, and maintain web applications for interfacing public APIs, sql databases, and large data sets.
Job duties will include expanding the DNALC’s Internet presence, building web applications to interface with host and client server applications and databases, and adapting genomic analysis tools for education and computation biology.
Candidates must be technically flexible and comfortable with rapid prototyping and frequent user interaction in a team that includes scientists, educators, web designers and graphics designers.
● BS/MS in computer science or related field
● extensive knowledge of Unix/Linux server environments including working with Apache
● proficient in SQL and relational databases
● proficient in object-oriented design and development
● strong experience in data structures and software design
● good problem-solving and communication skills
● able to work effectively alone and as part of a team
● programming experience in Python
● experience with Apache Tomcat
● experience in using bioinformatics tools (BLAST, genome browsers, TopHat/Cufflinks, etc.)
● experience with the Perl/Mason web development framework
This is a full-time position with an excellent benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities.