The American Registry of Pathology (ARP) has an immediate opening for a Forensic Scientist 3, Research Associate within the Department of Defense DNA Registry, Armed Forces Medical Examiner System (AFMES) Dover, DE. This position is under a federal government contract; therefore, employment is subject to availability of funding. The contract ends March 29, 2014; thus, continued employment is contingent upon either a contract extension beyond March 29, 2014 or a new contract award, and the maximum duration of employment extends until September 30, 2015. The American Registry of Pathology is an Equal Employment Opportunity-Affirmative Action employer.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Associate will assist in a newly-funded project within the Emerging Technologies Section aimed at utilizing next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques to improve efficiency for the personnel accounting mission, and will assist in the development, planning, organization and execution of original research projects and programs to develop innovative advances in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and nuclear DNA (nDNA)-based typing.
Primary duties to include:
• Generation, analysis, interpretation, and organization of large amounts of data with special attention to forensic quality standards.
• Evaluation of bioinformatic tools and workflows in combination with data generated from a variety of enrichment, library preparation, and NGS sequencing methods.
• Recommend, direct, and implement laboratory process changes meant to impact and improve data quality and/or analysis.
• Preparation and delivery of posters and oral presentations on research projects at seminars, workshops, professional meetings, symposia, etc.
• Preparation, review, and revision of technical reports and manuscripts for publication.