Layer, Chiang, et al. Genome Biology
Head of Marketing
This senior, and highly visible, role reports to the Sr. VP, Business Development and will take primary responsibility across a wide range of Product Marketing and Marketing Communications activities and programs for my client.
As a member of the Commercial team, the Head of Marketing will work closely with other team members to plan, coordinate and execute a large number of projects related to company’s product marketing, corporate branding, competitive positioning and other communication channels.
He/she will work closely with the Sales, Customer Support and Product Management teams to produce and distribute content that is consistent with the company’s strategy, direction and priorities. In addition, they will frequently serve as an external voice of the company, helping to communicate our technology and its capabilities to their customers, prospects and partners.
Drive the overall set of marketing programs. Work closely with the senior management team to shape, plan and execute various aspects of the Marketing Plan.
• Advertising and Lead Generation: Work with the Sales and Marketing groups to create promotional programs that drive demand and generate leads. Quantify the impact of these programs and suggest improvements for future programs.
• Product Marketing: Drive the creation of customer facing product materials as required by the Sales team to effectively reach and connect with prospective customers. Refresh these materials in a timely manner as new product features and enhancements are rolled out.
• Trade Shows, Meetings and Conferences: Manage the tradeshow calendar. Recommend appropriate shows, conference and meetings. Serve as the project manager for participation in all tradeshows, conferences and scientific meetings. Negotiate pricing; manage transportation of booth and other assets, gather consensus on tradeshow participation and execution. May also include drafting and submit abstract of talks to be delivered at conference, arranging travel and accommodations for participants and ordering of tradeshow supplies and giveaways
• Website: Work with internal colleagues and third-party vendors to keep the content on the website current, compete, accurate and compelling. As required, coordinate major website refresh projects as part of our overall branding strategy. Maintain an average turnaround time of no more than one week for website updates in response to new content, announcements and other news.
• Social Media: Keep current and active on company social media channels including blogs, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook. Actively create, seek out and post appropriate content on company website and blog.
• PR and Corporate Messaging: Work with the management team and one or more third-party PR agencies to manage corporate messaging, positioning, and announcements on an on-going basis. Coordinate the process for planning, developing and releasing press releases on a regular basis.
• Customer Testimonials: Work with the Sales and Marketing groups to identify customers in a position to provide content, references and testimonials that can be used on our website and in our promotional materials.
• Marketing Impact: Design and implement systems for measuring and improving the impact of our Marketing spend. Recommend alternative channels for reaching our target audience. Implement marketing systems such as Marketo, Optimizely and others as budget allows and as is consistent with the needs of the business.
o A BA / BS Degree in the Life Sciences or other closely related field is required. An MBA or other advanced technical degree is considered a plus.
o 5 to 10 years of experience in Marketing or Marketing Communications, preferably in a life sciences / genomics / healthcare or similarly related company.
o The drive and energy to achieve the above objectives within the normal constraints (limited budgets and quick timelines) of a fast-paced start-up company that seeks to redefine the industry.
o Willing to be hands-on, detail-oriented and tackle the day-to- day issues found in a start-up environment.
o Should have a general understanding of Next Generation Sequencing tools, applications and markets.
o Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills.
o Must possess strong teamwork, interpersonal & relationship-building skills.
o Must possess and demonstrate excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills.
Derek Pyper, Principal