- Strong knowledge of medical genetics.
- Strong programming skills, especially in Perl or Python.
- Enthusiasm to explore diverse content sources, algorithms, and software.
- Excellent critical and analytical thinking, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong proven ability to self-start, plan, prioritize, and scope work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong attention to detail, thoroughness, and organization.
- Enthusiasm to learn and practice new technologies as needed to get the job done.
- Ability to work with diverse cross-functional group of scientists, software developers, product managers, and IT professionals.
- In-depth knowledge of software development best practices.
- In-depth knowledge of a variety of quality controls and software testing techniques.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: bioinformatics, computational biology, systems biology, Information Extraction, data mining, ontology, semantic web, Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, or expert systems.
- Building and delivering software in Agile, scrum, or XP SDLC.
- 4+ years proficiency in interpreting scientific literature and associated results.
- 3+ years scripting with Perl or Python.
- 1+ year writing Java
- 2+ years hands-on experience parsing and manipulating large data files.
- 3+ years proficiency with Unix and Windows and/or Macintosh operating systems and internet browsers including Firefox, IE, Chrome.
- 4+ years research or clinical experience with human hereditary diseases or human genetics.
- 2+ years familiarity with clinical significance assessment and reporting of genetic variations.
- 2+ years bioinformatics experience, especially in genomics.
- 1+ years software testing experience, and proficiency with database design and querying.
- 1+ year automating software using, for example, shell scripts, Ant, or Hudson.
- 2+ years Java programming and object-oriented design analysis.
- Graduate degree in genetics, bioinformatics, or related field or equivalent experience.
- MD or PhD in medical genetics or field related directly to human disease or equivalent experience.