Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
medical, dental, vision, retirement, pet insurance
Provide statistical services to researchers at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute and to other departments at the CSMC. This includes statistical analysis and programming support of medical research data. Analysis of medical research data includes meeting with investigators, defining the scope of work and making a time estimate for the work, development of an analysis plan, implementing appropriate statistical methods using statistical software, reporting and interpreting results, review of study design, and sample size and power determinations. Statistical services include database design, data management, and data analysis. Will work with minimal supervision from a supervisory statistician. May serve as statistical consultant to the IRB. Provide other related services as required.
1. Acts as a consultant to the Clinical and Research Faculty regarding research projects, with specific assignments in the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, as well as other departments and divisions.
2. Performs statistical analyses for medical research projects. A complete analysis may include processing data from Excel or other databases into another dataset program (SAS, SPSS, S-PLUS, STATA, SYSTAT, Mplus), writing programs to manage and prepare data for statistical analyses, writing programs to perform statistical procedures, using standard statistical packages to analyze data, summarizing findings in reports, tables and graphs, interpreting results and preparing them in written report for investigators.
3. Recommends appropriate statistical analyses for clinical outcomes and research questions.
4. Summarizes and interprets statistical analysis findings and prepares written reports for publications, presentations and grant proposals.
5. Provides advice on the design of questionnaires and the design and management of databases; this may include advice on the design of questionnaires to ease data entry, designing of data screens, documentation, data formats, data dictionary, custom data entry checks, and custom programming macros.
6. Provides investigators with sample size determinations and power analysis.
7. May provide ex officio service on IRB committees, including review of IRB submissions for acceptability of sample size justifications.
1. MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Computational biology, Statistics or Bioinformatics with strong background in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics
With MS Degree 5-7 years’ experience in programming, analyzing and database management in a research environment. With Ph.D., 3 years’ experience.
1. Familiar with C/C++, Java, Perl, python, and the Unix (Linux) environment; Strong programming skills and a fast learner.
2. Experiences in manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large genomic (e.g. NGS) data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions, will be a plus
3. Excellent written/oral communication skills.
4. Experience in cancer research is preferred but not required.
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with research scientists, biostatisticians and data entry personnel.
Physical Demands: (e.g., lifting, standing, walking)
Prolonged sitting, computer usage and repetitive hand motion.
About Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (CSMC) is a non-profit, academic, community-centric medical center in Los Angeles, California. Recognized internationally, Cedars-Sinai brings together top healthcare professionals collaborating to provide exceptional patient care.
A combination of patient satisfaction scores, clinical performance initiatives, excellent medical outcomes, national designations and awards and ongoing research and academic programs have earned Cedars-Sinai a top spot as one of America's best hospitals in 2012-13 U.S. News & World Report . The quality and dedication of our talented nurses, allied health professionals and physicians make Cedars-Sinai one of the nation's leading academic medical centers.
In its 2012-2013 listing of America’s Best Hospitals, U.S. News & World Report ranked Cedars-Sinai among the top 50 hospitals in a remarkable 12 of 16 specialty areas including: Cancer; Cardiology and Heart Surgery; Diabetes and Endocrinology; Ear, Nose and Throat; Gastroenterology; Geriatrics; Gynecology; Kidney disease; Neurology and Neurosurgery; Orthopaedics; Pulmonology; and Urology.
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, a Level I Trauma Center, is a recognized center of excellence in such varied specialties as cardiology, neurosurgery, oncology, transplant services, women's health, chronic diseases, medical genetics, orthopaedics, Pulmonology, and Urology.