As a member of our Process Engineering team, this Automation Engineer will participate in the design, execution, and analysis of workflow improvements and studies to characterize, optimize, and validate new and improved automated workflows for use in Genomic Health's various laboratory environments. These include the Clinical Laboratory where our industry-leading Oncotype DX® clinical diagnostic assays are run, the R&D laboratories where new product concepts are developed, and our Manufacturing and QC laboratories, which provide high-quality reagents for use in the other lab functions within Genomic Health.
The successful candidate will have hands-on experience in liquid handling robotics, product or process development and current laboratory methods for nucleic acid isolation, quantification, and downstream analysis using quantitative RT-PCR and/or next generation sequencing technologies.
Activities will include adaptation of manual processes to automated platforms, mapping existing process and determining areas for improvement, de novo process development, integration of existing automation, and process troubleshooting. He or she will be expected to become expert in all of Genomic Health's laboratory processes and associated systems such as our LIMS, and to contribute technical expertise to the ongoing evolution of Genomic Health's overall technology strategy.
This Automation Engineer will participate in cross functional teams working in a variety of areas. These include ongoing support and improvement of the commercial patient sample testing processes used in our Clinical Laboratory and the specification, characterization, integration, and implementation of robotic platforms and analytical instruments.
He or she will execute studies to develop and test newly developed processes to ensure that they are highly robust, scalable and meet stringent functional performance standards. These efforts will be highly cross-functional and will require excellent communication and collaboration with colleagues in Process Engineering, Assay Chemistry, Biostatistics and Data Management, our Clinical and Development Laboratories, Program Management, Research, Analytical Sciences, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and other groups.
The successful candidate will be working cooperatively in a dynamic and interdisciplinary laboratory environment, adapting quickly to change and new technical challenges while providing strong technical leadership. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required to ensure success throughout the development lifecycle, from gathering requirements to providing ongoing support for transferred processes. This is an excellent opportunity for a team player to participate in the growth of a fast-paced, pioneering company that is developing systematic approaches to applying genomic technology to health, disease, and medical practice.
- Contribute to collection of process requirements from cross-functional stakeholders
- Develop and execute plans for the development of laboratory processes for sample handling and analysis
- Evaluate new processes and technologies for potential use in Genomic Health applications
- Contribute to the improvement of existing Genomic Health laboratory processes through process mapping and analysis
- Participate in the design, execution, and interpretation of process characterization, optimization, and validation studies, including the clear and complete documentation of these in study protocols and reports
- Develop, optimize, and implement automated platforms for the Clinical, Development, and Research laboratories
- Design and document new test methods to measure equipment performance
- Train others in the proper use of GHI equipment
- Provide troubleshooting support for our Clinical, Development, and Research laboratories
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in development of automated laboratory processes or product development
- Familiarity with standard molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid isolation, RNA/DNA quantification, PCR and RT-PCR, DNA sequencing
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude relevant to automated liquid handlers or other general laboratory equipment
- Familiarity with assay development, optimization and troubleshooting
- Ability to quickly adopt and apply new methods and technologies
- Proficiency in using word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (both written and verbal), with an ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma and Robust Design principles is highly desirable
- Experience with programming and operating liquid handling robots
- Experience using Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Select or Delete Below as Appropriate:
- Travel Requirements: <10% Travel
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
- Some lifting (greater than 25 pounds) may be necessary; Facilities, Materials and Engineering employees occasionally must lift at least 50-75 pounds.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, and instruments with moving parts and lasers. Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE