Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Staff Engineer/Bioinformatics – AmpliSeq Pipeline Developer
Ion Torrent is developing sequencing protocols for our PGM and Proton Post-Light sequencers. A major focus of our development is the AmpliSeq target enrichment method. We are continuing to develop and expand this important technology, to scale these methods with our sequencing platforms’ throughput and to provide custom designs for our users. The purpose of this position is to contribute to the AmpliSeq designer pipeline development and deployment. This team’s mission is to continuously improve the targeted resequencing system performance by analyzing both bioinformatics design and lab method development to provide feedback and design input on the overall system development and optimization. This pipeline development position will integrate feedback from previous design success to push the limit of in silico and in vitro success while increasing amplicon coverage and number per pool. This individual will develop and/or implement, in a customer-facing, cloud-based production environment, computational tools that yield high in silico design success, excellent DNA sequencing success in the lab. Imaginative and creative thinking is required; demonstrated success working in cross-functional teams is required. Expertise software development is required; knowledge of bioinformatics and genomics applications is highly desirable.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
· Design pipeline development in collaboration with bioinformatics and software team
· Highly motivated, self-starter, innovative problem-solver, with a demonstrated enthusiasm to constantly improve their craft.
· Demonstrated ability to be successful in a highly dynamic, R&D-driven environment with ambitious goals and schedules
· Experience with rapid prototyping, Agile development experience preferred.
· Enthusiastic collaborator with both internal and external development teams
· Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills always a plus.
· Comply with all company safety regulations and procedures
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· Experience typically gained through obtaining M.S. + ~ 2 years post degree employment experience
· Direct experience with next generation sequencing data generation and analysis strongly preferred
· Ideal candidate will have experience working in a multi-disciplinary development team, and will have delivered production applications to external or internal users
· Bioinformatics experience (or other big-data, compute-intensive work) a big plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Expertise in software development for internal or external user community
· Knowledge of software development processes and practices including, automated testing, source control and defect tracking tools and processes, development tools
· Experience developing Perl or Python applications (including: module development, object-oriented, development multicomponent applications)
· Knowledge of Java preferred
· Experience with relational databases and technologies (SQL/PL-SQL, Oracle thru SQLite, database APIs) an asset
· Enthusiastic, collaborative and motivated developer
· Ability to work under pressure with strict attention to deadlines and details – ability to prioritize for success
· Thrive in collaborative team environment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
M.S. degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science (or related discipline such as Bioinformatics) with post-graduate experience (>2 yrs), or a B.S. degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science (or related discipline) with experience (>6 yrs). Experience in a Bio/biotech setting strongly preferred.
We are a global biotechnology company with more than 10,000 people in 180 countries working to make a difference. With sales of $3.8 billion in 2012, our portfolio of 50,000 end-to-end solutions are secured by more than 5,000 patents and licenses.