Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Provide bioinformatic analysis and interpretation within a wide range of genomic projects.
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for genomics projects, integrating biological expertise and computational analyses.
- Works with principal investigators and bioinformatics engineers to develop and maintain software based on current projects and in anticipation of long-term needs.
- Assists in development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines for microbial genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms including 454, Illumina, and Pacific Biosciences.
- Manages data including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading genomic data from public repositories, and transforming data to the necessary formats.
- Works with staff to develop appropriate databases for each project.
- Works with bioinformatics engineers and principal investigators to identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software by reviewing pertinent literature.
- Works with NBACC researchers and external collaborators to determine future bioinformatics needs, and helps develop tools and databases as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology.
- Performs other assigned duties.
- BS or MS (or equivalent) preferable in microbiology, bioinformatics (with biology concentration), molecular biology, virology, or related discipline, and 4 years of experience related to genomic analysis.
- Strong biological background and demonstrated ability to interpret bioinformatic data.
- Familiarity with computing clusters and associated management software preferred (e.g. Hadoop, Sun Grid Engine).
- Familiarity working with next-generation sequencing and metagenomic data types preferred.
- Ability to use software in a UNIX/Linux environment, including proficiency with scripting languages.
- Proficiency with SQL and one or more database management systems preferred.
- Preferred fluency in one or more programming languages required for small and large-scale tool development (e.g., C++, Java, Perl, Python).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Must be a citizen of the United States able to obtain a government Interim Secret clearance leading to an eventual Top Secret clearance as well as meet Suitability requirements for the Department of Homeland Security.
Apply here: https://home.eease.com/recruit2/?id=6326481&t=1