Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Complete Genomics, Inc. is looking for a Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division, to join the Complete Genomics executive leadership team and lead the launch of the company’s consumer genomics business unit. Complete is dedicated to sequencing one million genomes and enormous strides will be made in the understanding of human health when we succeed. We're looking for a dynamic, energetic, "out of the box" thinker to help lead our efforts. This person needs to understand the current market opportunities and regulatory boundaries for personalized genomics, but be able to articulate a vision beyond what exists now. The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented leader with proven entrepreneurial skills and experience in leadership roles in the life sciences and consumer spaces. This person must be capable of defining strategies and then executing on those strategies by building and leading an effective team.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice-President and General Manager, Consumer Division will have strategic and day-to-day operational responsibility in leading consumer genomics services in conjunction with Complete Genomics and BGI.
- Provide strong leadership for the Complete Genomics’ consumer services business unit.
- Define strategy and requirements to successfully introduce and increase adoption of whole genome sequencing services in the consumer genetics market, paying due respect to maintaining regulatory compliance
- Lead commercialization and revenue generation efforts. Develop a monetization strategy. Build a brand for the service emphasizing provision of products and services of the highest quality and continuously enforcing the value system of the company.
- Implement the strategy into operations. Set up appropriate organization structures and goals for the business unit. Attract, recruit and retain required operations leadership. Lead execution of all the operations of this consumer genomics service.
- Responsible for business unit budget, including budgetary planning and implementation and production efficiency.
- Responsible for resource allocation and planning to ensure delivery of business benefits. Grow, motivate and develop a high performance team in support of priorities and strategies. Provide mentoring to enable a strong culture of collaboration, entrepreneurship, and achieving results while ensuring the integration of quality and service in day-to-day operations.
- Publicly represent Complete Genomics consumer genomics business unit with external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for the company’s mission. Be a spokesperson and champion for Complete Genomics in the industry and within BGI. Manage and cultivate external business relationships, prospecting to generate leads through local companies, and partnerships.
The ideal candidate will be a highly qualified executive whose experience includes accomplishing strategic and operational business launches in a complex environment. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, results-oriented leader with proven entrepreneurial skills and exhibit integrity, collaboration, flexibility and a results-orientation. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years of experience and a track record in a senior product management or general management role in a life sciences-related consumer service.
- Life sciences and consumer industry knowledge coupled with superior people leadership skills, program management experience and business planning processes.
- Experience as a member of a senior executive team with understanding of the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, market and product launches, operational oversight, risk management, budgeting, and business analysis. Knowledge of legal, regulatory, ethical, managerial, and organizational requirements in growing a business.
- Proven entrepreneurial skills with excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and a team builder who has experience in growing teams and launching products, markets, and scaling up organizations. Ideal candidates will have led new emerging businesses and possesses strong business acumen, data and analytical skills and relationship-building capabilities.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan. Experience assessing programs, evaluating organizational needs, designing process changes, and successfully implementing changes.
- A self-directed, positive and ethical role model with the professional credibility, and demonstrated ability to influence and motivate others.
- International experience, particularly with Chinese companies, preferred.
Complete Genomics is a leader in accurate whole human genomic sequencing based in Mountain View, California. Our mission is to sequence one million human genomes, providing researchers and clinicians the genetic information needed to improve human health through the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of genetic diseases.
In March 2013, Complete Genomics was acquired by BGI-Shenzhen, the world’s largest genomics services company. BGI is a 4,000-person company headquartered in Shenzhen, China that provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for commercial science, medical, agricultural and environmental applications. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting collaborative projects globally with leading research institutions.
Prior to the acquisition by BGI, Complete Genomics was focused on selling whole genome sequencing (WGS) services to over 150 research customers. After the acquisition, Complete Genomics transferred its research services business to BGI Tech, BGI’s research services business unit. Complete Genomics is now focused on building a new generation of high-throughput sequencing technology and developing new and exciting research, clinical and consumer applications.