Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Complete Genomics, Inc. is looking for a Vice-President and General Manager, Health Division, to join the Complete Genomics executive leadership team. The GM will lead the company’s clinical diagnostics business unit and be responsible for both the development and commercialization of molecular diagnostics services. This is an exciting opportunity to launch molecular diagnostic products in the North American market. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, results-oriented leader with proven entrepreneurial skills and experience in leadership roles in the molecular diagnostics industry with the capabilities to lead the strategies and hands-on daily activities to start-up and grow a business.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice-President and General Manager, Health Division, will have strategic and day-to-day responsibility to lead the development and commercialization of molecular diagnostic products in the North American market.
- Provide overall leadership and strategy for the Complete Genomics’ clinical diagnostic business unit in North America.
- Lead the development of sequence-based molecular diagnostics in collaboration with Complete Genomics and its parent company, BGI. Responsible for driving the business unit to achieve sales, profitability, business goals, and objectives.
- Be an integration leader of a CLIA lab and lead the direction and operations of the molecular diagnostics lab, including all regulatory compliance matters.
- Develop and market through appropriate channels. Lead the commercialization and revenue generation efforts of the clinical diagnostics business unit. Review plans to meet requirements for sales planning and to ascertain requirements to develop new markets.
- Implement the strategy into operations, including setting up appropriate organization structures and goals for the business unit. Support brand management and creation of reputation by delivering products and services of the highest quality and continuously enforcing the value system of the company.
- Responsible for business unit budget, including budgetary planning and implementation and production efficiency
- Responsible for resource allocation and planning to ensure delivery of business benefits. Grow, motivate and develop a high performance team in support of priorities and strategies. Attract, recruit and retain required members not currently in place. Provide mentoring to enable a strong culture of collaboration, entrepreneurship, and achieving results while ensuring the integration of quality and service in day-to-day operations.
- Publicly represent Complete Genomics clinical diagnostics business unit with external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for the company’s mission. Be a spokesperson and champion for Complete Genomics in the industry and within BGI. Manage and cultivate external business relationships, prospecting to generate leads through local companies, and partnerships. Stay abreast of the local market and build strong channel relationships with commercial brokers.
The ideal candidate will be a highly qualified executive whose experience includes accomplishing strategic and operational business launches in a complex environment. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, results-oriented leader with proven entrepreneurial skills and exhibit integrity, collaboration, flexibility and a results-orientation. Specific requirements include:
- 10+ years of experience with a track record in leading a molecular diagnostics business. Experience as a President, Division Manager or General Manager of a clinical or molecular diagnostics business preferred. Bachelor’s degree required or preferably a postgraduate degree.
- Demonstrated start-up experience. This is a new business unit for Complete Genomics and BGI and will require experience in creating a new business unit or company.
- Demonstrated successful product launch in the molecular Dx space, including molecular diagnostics business knowledge coupled with superior people leadership skills, program management experience and business planning processes.
- Experience as a member of a senior executive team with understanding of the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, market and product launches, operational oversight, risk management, budgeting, and business analysis. Knowledge of legal, regulatory, ethical, managerial, and organizational requirements in growing a business.
- Experience with development and successful marketing through appropriate channels of one or more lab-developed molecular tests.
- Strong knowledge of medical professional societies, interaction between practice guidelines and clinical launch, clinical validation studies, and go-to market strategy.
- Experience with operational oversight of a CLIA lab with experience in California regulations specifically. Experience and knowledge in other regulated states would be a positive.
- Reimbursement strategies, CPT coding, Medicare and Medicaid regulations, and insurance coverage are all a key component of this position and demonstrated knowledge of this space is a requirement.
- Ability to oversee a commercial operation in the clinical space.
- Demonstrates exceptional communication skills. A self-directed, positive and ethical role model with the professional credibility, and demonstrated ability to influence and motivate others.
- International experience, particularly with Chinese companies, preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time.
Complete Genomics is a leader in accurate whole human genomic sequencing based in Mountain View, California. Our vision is to provide clinicians the genetic information needed to improve human health through prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of genetic diseases. Complete Genomics is focused on building a new generation of high-throughput sequencing technology and developing new and exciting research, clinical and consumer applications.
In March 2013, Complete Genomics was acquired by BGI-Shenzhen, the world’s largest genomics services company. BGI is a 4,000-person company headquartered in Shenzhen, China that provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for commercial science, medical, agricultural and environmental applications. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting collaborative projects globally with leading research institutions.