Complete Genomics, Inc. is looking for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join its executive leadership team. The COO will lead the Complete Genomics tools business unit. This division is the company’s largest, and is responsible for developing and commercializing new DNA sequencing tools. The COO will oversee the creation and execution of the division’s technology development roadmap, which will be focused on addressing the products and service requirements of the company’s third party sequencing tools customers and those of the company’s emerging business units. The COO will oversee a broad spectrum of functional areas related to delivering products and services to market. These functions include the company’s development, operations, commercialization, and infrastructure teams.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will lead the Complete Genomics tools business unit, an organization responsible for developing and commercializing DNA sequencing tools. The COO will participate in developing and executing on current and long-range strategies. Guided by company objectives, the COO will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary for leading edge development. In addition, the individual will ensure that the commercialization, operations, infrastructure, and development teams have the direction and support to deliver strong business results and effectively grow the organization.
- Provide leadership and management to Complete Genomics’ sequencing tools business unit, accountable for achieving the mission and financial and operational objectives. Lead the development of next-generation DNA sequencing tools comprised of hardware, software, and biochemistry.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation in leading senior leaders managing the development, operations, commercialization, and infrastructure teams. Enable the collaboration of interdependent development specialties across genomics, hardware engineering, biochemistry, bioinformatics, software engineering, etc. and the linkages with commercialization and operations. Responsible for scaling the business from product and market development to launching sales.
- Participate with the CEO and colleagues to develop, update and implement business strategic plans. Discuss strategic options and innovate existing business models.
- Be a spokesperson and champion for Complete Genomics in the industry and within BGI. Develop strong relationships with BGI business units with regular interactions to ensure Complete’s DNA sequencing tools support their businesses. Manage and cultivate external business relationships including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Complete Genomics mission.
- Drive key changes and business initiatives, including building commitment among stakeholders, setting clear objectives, plans and measures, managing skills and shaping the company culture. Engages with the team to ensure an environment that is motivating and focused on innovation, development and growing the business.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the infrastructure of systems, processes, and talent designed to accommodate the objectives of our organization. Implement integrated talent strategies to ensure quality results in the identification, retention and development of talent.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of Complete Genomics’ sequencing tools business unit through solid fiscal management.
- Maintain a commitment to quality and service in all aspects of his/her work, and strive for continuous organizational improvement.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.