Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Complete Genomics, Inc. is looking for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join its executive leadership team. The COO will lead the Complete Genomics tools business unit. This division is the company’s largest, and is responsible for developing and commercializing new DNA sequencing tools. The COO will oversee the creation and execution of the division’s technology development roadmap, which will be focused on addressing the products and service requirements of the company’s third party sequencing tools customers and those of the company’s emerging business units. The COO will oversee a broad spectrum of functional areas related to delivering products and services to market. These functions include the company’s development, operations, commercialization, and infrastructure teams.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will lead the Complete Genomics tools business unit, an organization responsible for developing and commercializing DNA sequencing tools. The COO will participate in developing and executing on current and long-range strategies. Guided by company objectives, the COO will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary for leading edge development. In addition, the individual will ensure that the commercialization, operations, infrastructure, and development teams have the direction and support to deliver strong business results and effectively grow the organization.
- Provide leadership and management to Complete Genomics’ sequencing tools business unit, accountable for achieving the mission and financial and operational objectives. Lead the development of next-generation DNA sequencing tools comprised of hardware, software, and biochemistry.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation in leading senior leaders managing the development, operations, commercialization, and infrastructure teams. Enable the collaboration of interdependent development specialties across genomics, hardware engineering, biochemistry, bioinformatics, software engineering, etc. and the linkages with commercialization and operations. Responsible for scaling the business from product and market development to launching sales.
- Participate with the CEO and colleagues to develop, update and implement business strategic plans. Discuss strategic options and innovate existing business models.
- Be a spokesperson and champion for Complete Genomics in the industry and within BGI. Develop strong relationships with BGI business units with regular interactions to ensure Complete’s DNA sequencing tools support their businesses. Manage and cultivate external business relationships including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Complete Genomics mission.
- Drive key changes and business initiatives, including building commitment among stakeholders, setting clear objectives, plans and measures, managing skills and shaping the company culture. Engages with the team to ensure an environment that is motivating and focused on innovation, development and growing the business.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the infrastructure of systems, processes, and talent designed to accommodate the objectives of our organization. Implement integrated talent strategies to ensure quality results in the identification, retention and development of talent.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of Complete Genomics’ sequencing tools business unit through solid fiscal management.
- Maintain a commitment to quality and service in all aspects of his/her work, and strive for continuous organizational improvement.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
The preferred candidate will be a highly qualified executive with life sciences tools experience who accomplished strategic and operational change. The ideal candidate's management style will exhibit integrity, collaboration, flexibility and a results-orientation. Specific requirements include:
- At least 10 years of experience and a track record in senior management positions in life sciences instrument or tools businesses are required. Experience as a President, COO, or General Manager of a life sciences or DNA sequencing tools business unit, or similar industry highly preferred.
- A postgraduate degree highly preferred. A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Experience as a member of a senior executive team with understanding of the full range of business functions and systems, including product development, commercialization, operations management, budgeting, business analysis, information systems, and human resources. Knowledge of legal, regulatory, ethical, managerial, and organizational requirements.
- Track record of business results and success in fast changing, results-oriented organizations.
- A team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations, capacity to enforce accountability, and develop and empower leaders. Exceptional capacity for managing and leading a senior-level staff to manage and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement program strategies.
- Possess strong leadership and business acumen, data and analytical skills and relationship-building capabilities to inspire the organization around common goals, vision and values.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into organizational plans. Experience assessing programs, evaluating organizational needs, designing process changes, and successfully implementing changes and shaping an organization’s culture. Acts responsibly in a collaborative environment with multiple work demands and short time frames to make effective decisions.
- Demonstrates exceptional communication skills, written, oral and public speaking communication skills.
- A self-directed, positive and ethical role model with the professional credibility, strong influencing skills and accountability to engender confidence across the organization.
- International experience, particularly with Chinese companies, preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 30% of the time.
Complete Genomics is a leader in accurate whole human genomic sequencing based in Mountain View, California. Our mission is to sequence one million human genomes, providing researchers and clinicians the genetic information needed to improve human health through the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of genetic diseases.
In March 2013, Complete Genomics was acquired by BGI-Shenzhen, the world’s largest genomics services company. BGI is a 4,000-person company headquartered in Shenzhen, China that provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for commercial science, medical, agricultural and environmental applications. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting collaborative projects globally with leading research institutions.
Prior to the acquisition by BGI, Complete Genomics was focused on selling whole genome sequencing (WGS) services to over 150 research customers. After the acquisition, Complete Genomics transferred its research services business to BGI Tech, BGI’s research services business unit. Complete Genomics is now focused on building a new generation of high-throughput sequencing technology and developing new and exciting research, clinical and consumer applications.