Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
This position is for a highly motivated biological systems engineer with an extensive biochemistry background and significant hands-on experience in the application of a range of liquid handling systems for the manipulation of biochemical materials and the performance of analytical methods. The position supports the R&D scientific team to design, build and test liquid handling systems to address one or more of the major steps in the company’s proprietary sequencing platform (sample preparation, DNA library construction, and sequencing chemistry) for fast and low cost genome sequencing. This engineer will be an active and collaborative member of a broadly cross-functional team of research and development scientists developing the next generation technologies for the CGI platform. This role requires the engineer to interact on a daily basis with the scientists working on the biochemistry of our technology and strong collaborative interaction with the hardware team to enable production of automation product solutions.
• Under general direction performs various R&D assignments that require knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry knowledge, concepts, and techniques.
• Support activities in the Biochemistry Department to design, research, develop and implement processes for new DNA sample prep or library strategies or advanced sequencing chemistry.
• Participate and contribute in weekly group meetings on experimental design, activity planning, and troubleshooting, including reporting experimental results.
• Execute experimental work plan in collaboration with other group members, providing technical expertise, material and hands-on support as needed to achieve Departmental goals.
• Collaborate and communicate experimental results with other development and production groups.
• Closely collaborate with the hardware development team to produce a commercial product based on the R&D automation solution.
• BS/BE in biochemistry engineering (Chemical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related science with an Engineering focus) and 4+ years of experience in a relevant technical/laboratory role with increasing responsibility, or an MS degree and two to three years of relevant automation experience.
• Demonstrated experience in design, implementation and transfer of various liquid handling systems into process automation systems in both R&D and Production environments.
• Experimental Biochemical or Molecular Biology hands-on skills are essential, as well as experience with Good Laboratory Practices and aseptic techniques.
• Must have an excellent ability to apply experimental design, data analysis and statistics to decision making.
• Familiarity with systems and processes used in biochemical production environments, including use of SOPs and LIMS
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and planning skills, with great attention to detail and record-keeping in both lab notebook and electronic documentation
• Ability to carry out and develop standard operating procedures involving basic and advanced laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping
• Ability to follow protocols and pay attention to detail, with good problem solving and analytical thinking skills required
• Demonstrated strength in working within a team and with cross-functional partners, as well as ability to work effectively independently. Should be well organized, self-motivated and possess excellent time management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to multitask and adapt to rapidly changing requirements, priorities and tight schedules
Complete Genomics does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website, employees or Human Resources.
Complete Genomics will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Complete Genomics and will be processed accordingly without fee.
Complete Genomics has the sole discretion to determine with whom we will enter into a contract. If you wish to work with Complete Genomics, please contact the Human Resources department.
Complete Genomics provides academic and bio-pharmaceutical researchers with complete human genomic data and analysis at an unprecedented quality, cost and scale without requiring them to invest in in-house sequencing instruments, high-performance computing resources and specialized personnel.
Complete Genomics Analysis Platform, or CGA™ Platform, combines our proprietary human genome sequencing technology with our advanced informatics and data management software and our innovative, end-to-end, outsourced service model to provide our customers with data that is immediately ready to be used for genome-based research. Our solution broadly enables researchers to conduct large-scale complete human genome studies.
We are looking for people who thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment, who are team oriented, self-motivated, and committed to contributing to the success of our company.