The Imaging Platform within the Broad Institute has an opening for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate in Computational Biology.
The Imaging Platform develops and applies methods for extracting quantitative information from high-throughput biological images. We are best known for creating and maintaining the open-source CellProfiler project, launched more than 90,000 times per year around the world by biologists quantifying biological processes in images. We collaborate with dozens of biomedical research laboratories to identify disease states, potential therapeutics, and gene functions from microscopy images.
We seek a Postdoctoral Associate to join our efforts to glean insights from large collections of images. This work is based on the hypothesis that there is much more information present in microscopy images than is commonly perceived by eye, and that there is a significant lack of knowledge about the appropriate targets for most diseases. We aim to harvest this information through profiling, developing novel methods to characterize cellular populations at single-cell resolution such that similarities and differences among treatments can be described productively. This work has the potential to transform how both the targets and treatments for disease are identified.
We are testing these ideas in several projects, including:
- Predicting how new chemical compounds act in cells
- Identifying and classifying toxicity of compounds destined for clinical trials
- Identifying differences in cell structure between patient cells affected by bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Discovering differences among histone deacetylase (HDAC) isoforms, and identifying specific inhibitors against them, for cancer and psychiatric disease
- Identifying gene function from large-scale genome sequencing studies
- PhD in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Physics- or in Biology with a strong quantitative background.
- Machine learning and/or large scale data mining experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in a programming language such as Python is required. Experience with scientific computational software such as Matlab or R is strongly desired.
- Prior experience developing image processing algorithms is a plus.
- Experience working with biological data and imaging data is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Must demonstrate outstanding personal initiative and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE