The Systems Architect will be responsible for providing leadership to cross functional teams to develop industry-leading DNA sequencing instruments in an exciting, fast-paced environment. The position involves understanding high level customer needs, deriving the specifications that support these needs, and driving diverse engineering teams to accomplish those requirements against schedule, cost, and resource constraints. The foundation of all activities for this role is a wide, solid grasp of multiple areas of engineering physics, but especially optical, precision mechanical, and thermal systems. The candidate will leverage this knowledge to develop first order system models to guide architecture decisions and leverage strong organizational skills to communicate across hardware, consumable, firmware, software, and chemistry teams. The candidate will have a good mix of extensive education and practical experience bringing products from concept to commercial launch.
• Understand customer needs and translate these into system and sub-system requirements. Own traceability matrix, tracking that design meets specification
• Lead the architecture definition by working across sub-system design teams to align overlapping design requirements /constraints and drive teams in developing concepts, evaluating risks, and efficiently concluding on a design path
• Develop first order system models that guide design decisions. These can include system tolerance budgets, performance models, COGS models, etc. Provide mentorship to sub-system engineers in the development of lumped parameter models that guide lower level design decisions
• Own the seams between teams, especially including the definition and documentation of inputs/outputs between hardware sub-system design and other teams such as software, firmware and electrical engineering teams
• Lead teams through complex root-cause analysis in which there are many possible root causes that involve various areas of physics
• Manage teams and projects including planning, scheduling, budgeting, and reporting. Teams will include both internal engineering teams and external design & manufacturing partners
• Drive the product from concept to launch, coordinating design teams with NPI & manufacturing teams, as well as driving complete documentation efforts