We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-driven and experienced individual who will manage a team of Electrical and Firmware engineers at our San Diego design facility. This team develops and commercializes integrated electronics and firmware systems for Illumina’s world-leading genetic analysis platforms. The candidate will be a strong people manager with broad technical knowledge who can lead and drive complex product development teams in a fast-paced environment. This is not an ASIC or software development role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead and direct the activities of a team of Electrical and Firmware Engineers involved in the development of genetic analysis instrumentation incorporating advanced imaging systems, embedded digital electronics, precision motion, and thermal control systems. Provide technical leadership in areas such as Embedded Digital Design, System Architecture, and Product Commercialization
• Work as a first level manager by monitoring the performance of each individual and providing feedback, mentoring, and coaching to develop them for success
• Provide direct oversight to this team as a functional manager in a matrixed organization. Interface with other functional and project managers to appropriately staff projects and balance resource needs across the organization
• Negotiate and manage consultants, outsourcing partners (both in the US and overseas), and co-development projects with attention to requirements, interfaces, schedule, and budget
• Lead functional excellence with the development of new technologies that enable higher performance and faster time to market for Illumina’s genetic analysis instrumentation. Develop and advocate for engineering best practices within this team
• Manage efforts to continue to grow team by driving hiring and staffing efforts