Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a leading research-based pharmaceutical company with a challenging and inspiring mission: to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer. This mission gives GSK the purpose to develop innovative medicines, vaccines and healthcare solutions that help millions of people.
• Carry out quality control (QC), primary analysis & interpretation of genetic/genomic data from NGS (next-generation DNA sequencing) & Transcriptomics platforms, to support R&D customers/drug discovery programs across multiple therapeutic areas; contribute to experimental design & implementation
• Work with R&D colleagues (IT, Computational Biology, Oncology) to build & support a state-of-the-art NGS/Transcriptomics data analysis & data management pipeline; provide support for existing data analysis systems, including resolution of custom user & data retrieval requests; support process development for data integration across multiple platforms
• Design, implement & update high-throughput automated DNA sequence analysis & QC systems for existing and novel NGS application spaces; participate in technical development of internal genomics platforms
• Review existing methods & perform due diligence of new data analysis tools as they emerge; monitor the impact of process, hardware or software changes on performance of genomic platforms; assist in evaluation of LIMS solutions from external vendors; design & implement LIMS/workflow execution support for NGS data; work with other development groups to incorporate & document new methodologies & tools into SOPs; develop/maintain data standards/SOPs for NGS data (genome sequencing, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq); follow best practices for software version control, testing & release engineering
• Train biologists & other laboratory staff in NGS/Transcriptomic data QC & analysis
PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or Genomics, and Bioinformatics, Statistics or Computer Sciences. At least 5 years of relevant experience in industry or academia (job grade commensurate with experience, applicants with extensive relevant experience, without a PhD, will be considered.)
• Experience with comparative analysis of large -omic data sets from NGS (Next Generation Sequence) & other gene expression profiling platforms.
• Strong DNA sequence data analysis/bioinformatics skills, with extensive experience using various open-source or commercial NGS & Transcriptomics workbenches for QC, assembly & analysis of genetic/genomic data from NGS, RT-qPCR & DNA microarray platforms
• Proficient in analyzing NGS data (DNA-seq/whole exome sequencing, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, BS-seq, comparative bacterial/viral genomes) generated by multiple platforms, including Illumina & Roche 454
• Experience in developing NGS software applications & in utilizing enhanced data analysis tools; ability to evaluate novel NGS sequencing methodologies/new technologies & data analysis software, as well as other advances in Transcriptomics technologies
•Experience in experimental design & statistical analysis of large data sets
•Proficient in one or more programming languages (e.g. Perl, C/C++, Java or Python, Ruby); experience with high performance &/or parallel computing; competent working in a Linux/Unix environment; experience in providing support for production software systems; ability to provide technical/architectural decisions & input
•Sound knowledge of Genetics & Molecular Biology techniques
•Ability to work with IT experts & other bioinformaticians to develop & support a robust NGS/Transcriptomics data analysis & data management pipeline
•Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal skills & ability to interact with other informatics experts within R&D
•Good organizational & communication skills; ability to independently review & appraise scientific literature; ability to generate conclusion reports, present data in team meetings & participate in writing of publications; ability to liaise with scientists & external collaborators at all levels
• A background in Genetics/Genomics with lab-based DNA sequencing & RNA profiling experience, including experimental design, data generation, analysis & interpretation
• Track record of novel bioinformatic algorithms design, implementation & validation, including performance of in silico & in vitro/in vivo validation of same novel algorithms
• Experience with multi-parametric data mining of genetic/genomic/proteomic datasets for drug target identification/validation & biomarker discovery
• Experience integrating publicly or commercially available genetic (GWAS), genomic (e.g. ENCODE), proteomic & interaction datasets with novel experimental data to identify testable hypotheses
• Familiarity with mechanistic pathway modeling (e.g. signaling pathways, pharmacokinetic & pharmacodynamic, metabolic pathways) & connectivity mapping, a plus
• Familiarity with statistical programming (e.g. SAS/S-plus, R/bioconductor, Pipeline Pilot), a plus
• Ability to navigate & design IT systems for efficient data management & development of an NGS data analysis pipeline
Apply to www.gsk.com/careers
We offer a competitive total compensation package as well as an environment conducive to personal and professional growth.
No agency referrals please.
Developing talent through equality of opportunity, M/F/D/V.