Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Cancer is a devastating disease of the genome that affects nearly everyone at some pointin his or her life. This is a unique opportunity to make significant contributions towards
Cancer research as part of the Cancer Genome Analysis group at the Broad Institute, a worldleader in cancer genome research.
Firehose, an application developed at The Broad Institute team, is responsible for managing and executing analysis on ~1,000Tb of primary next generation sequencing and array data in a reliable manner consuming ~2,000,000 cpuhours
per year and interacting directly with the research scientists to deliver world-class cancer genome analysis.
The Cancer Genome Analysis group @ The Broad Institute is searching for a softwareengineer to help develop & support functionality for Firehose.
The ideal candidate will have contributed to the successful delivery of on-time & on-targetsoftware systems in a commercial company or a large research institute. S/he must have expert level skills in object-oriented design, Java, and design/implementation of highly scalable and adaptive systems.
• On going design, implementation & refactoring of existing Firehose modules, in collaboration with computational biologists
• Work collaboratively with scientists to define, prototype and release new
• Proactively communicate risks and deficiencies in plans to group leader
• BS in computer science, computer engineering, bioinformatics or related discipline;advanced degree a strong plus
• Expert knowledge of Java, dynamic web client design/implementation, databasedesign/implementation, Unix/Linux; highly-scalable and adaptive systems experience; Knowledge of Oracle, Hibernate, dynamic web technologies (such as JQuery & Prototype) a plus
• Experience in UI design and Usability a plus
• 2-5 years of directly applicable experience
• Track record of successful delivery in commercial businesses
• Experience integrating third party software/hardware products into in house applications
• Extraordinary oral and written communication skills, ability to persuade
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
• Experience with High Performance Compute and Cloud technologies a plus
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE