Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) is the world?s premier measurement company and a technology leader in chemical analysis, life sciences, diagnostics, electronics and communications. Agilent has four primary business segments: Chemical Analysis, Life Sciences, Diagnostics and Genomics, and Electronic Measurement.
In June of 2012, Agilent announced that its acquisition of cancer diagnostics company Dako was completed. Dako is one of the leading global suppliers of cancer diagnostics tools, providing antibodies, reagents, scientific instruments and software to customers in pathology laboratories. Agilent expects the acquisition to help strengthen their position in life sciences and clinical diagnostics, with a focus on product development to help in the fight against cancer. The acquisition of Dako was the largest in Agilent?s history, and is another step in the expansion of the company?s life science business. In conjunction with the acquisition, Agilent formed a fourth business segment, the Diagnostics and Genomics Group.
This is an exciting time to join the Company?s fast paced Genomics team, as it positions the company for long term continued success within a rapidly expanding global market. The position will be based at Agilent?s corporate headquarters in Santa Clara, California.
The Sr, Director Research and Development (R&D), Genomics Solutions will report to the Vice President and General Manager of the Genomics Solutions division. S/he will be responsible for leading the R&D organization providing management of the business unit's research and development on a global basis, including:
· Lead the R&D organization and direct all R&D activities
· Ensure that the R&D organization is continuously developed and manned sufficiently with the right competencies to comply with the requirements for new innovative products and to achieve the business goals
· Ensure that new products are being developed according to specifications and timeline
S/he will further ensure a high performance culture with focus on process-oriented execution. It is key that the candidate is capable of developing the team, with ability to continually improve the team?s performance while delivering upon business objectives.
Key success criteria are:
· Deliver on product development pipeline
· Move competencies towards Genomics solutions for the routine-clinical market
· Continue to improve development efficiencies and processes
· Contribute to achievement of the GSD/DGG vision and strategy
· Provide leadership and accountability for the Global R&D organization and ensure a well-functioning global R&D
· Develop the organization continuously to ensure that R&D is efficiently and effectively organized
· Ensure that R&D development activities are in alignment with GSD project management processes and design control procedures
· Ensure optimal processes and interfaces with other GSD functions and Agilent functions
· Ensure collaboration and alignment with Agilent Laboratories
· Participate actively in Genomics Senior staff meetings and activities
· Participate and business development activities
· Substantial research and development experience in a commercial and international medical or life-science company within the field of Genomics
· 8-10 years? experience managing a research and development organization
· Thorough theoretical and practical knowledge and experience with analytical methodology, reagents, instruments/devices and software development
· Proven ability to interact effectively in a global environment
· A substantial proven people management experience with the ability to inspire and motivate people
· Excellent ability to communicate, motivate, coach and work in an international environment with cross functional groups and cultures
· Fluency in spoken as well as written English.
· Educational background: Higher Biomedical or Technical degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or similar e.g. biology, biochemistry - MBA or similar can be an advantage.
· Experience and prior success in effectively leading and managing projects across matrix teams, integrating resources across complex functions (sales, marketing, R & D, Supply chain), technologies, and distinct business units, to over-deliver on customer needs.
· Global experience is preferred, with sensitivity to work effectively cross-culturally.
Geo Location: Santa Clara, CA
Agilent is an equal opportunity employer.
http://www.hirelifescience.com/seeker_jobs.aspx?jobsID=440011&jobtitle=Sr Director - R&D Genomics Solutions Division