Uses scientific knowledge and technical experience to perform mouse behavioral studies as part of a comprehensive approach to examine the genetic and biological basis of psychiatric disorders. Studies will focus on examining behaviors in mouse relevant to psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and autism. The position requires hands-on experience with a range of behavioral paradigms used in mouse neuroscience research and the ability to learn new methods.
- Conducts behavioral testing of inbred and transgenic/knockout mice to examine genes implicated in psychiatric disorders and potential drug treatments. Establishes new behavior paradigms in the laboratory by testing and modifying protocols to achieve consistent data.
- Conducts experiments to test the effects of pharmacological compounds on behavior, including peripheral and intracranial injection of drugs.
- Documents, compiles, and analyzes experimental data. Participates in lab meetings for experimental planning and review. Communicates experimental results to project team.
- Assists with stereotaxic surgeries to implant microcannulae and infuse various experimental compounds
- Collects tissue for molecular biological studies.
- Orders supplies and equipment required for projects.
- Assists with aspects of behavior lab management
- Other related duties as necessitated by the position.
- BSc in Biology with preference for Neuroscience, and at least 2 years rodent (mouse preferred) behavioral neuroscience research experience required.
- Rodent handling experience and systemic drug administration is required, and some experience with stereotaxic surgery and tissue dissection is preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills required.
- Must be able to work well independently and within a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing needs, perform multiple tasks at one time, and work in a multi-disciplinary fast-paced environment required.
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE