Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
As a Scientist at Illumina you will be a key contributor to integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new, and improving existing technology platforms. You will plan, initiate, and execute scientific research and/or critical development strategies for Illumina with the research staff and/or individual studies.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Research and develop to create new products. Identify, plan, evaluate, pursue and manage research ideas leading to large-scale, highly-multiplexed products for bio-molecule quantification based on Illumina’s proprietary technologies.
• Participate in multi disciplinarily genomics- or proteomics-based projects, interacting with engineers, programmers, project coordinators, and other researchers.
• Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Troubleshoot and improve existing processes and/or chemistries to establish robust and reproducible product or process performance.
• Work independently and within teams. Conduct clear and concise communication with colleagues and supervisors by presenting updates, written reports and technical meetings, presenting status updates to Senior Management, including recommendations based on experimental results.
• Perform a wide range of chemistry functions, including novel materials design, characterization and modification, polymerization and polymer characterization, small molecule synthesis, oligonucleotide and peptide synthesis, and bio-conjugation and modification of biomolecules.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
• Ph.D. in materials science, polymer, organic, analytical, physical, biochemical or related field. A minimum of 2-5 yrs experience in a multidisciplinary Research and Development laboratory is preferred.
Preferred Experiential Background:
A strong candidate will have a diverse background with experience in a majority of the following areas:
• Demonstrated expertise in polymer chemistry, interface or colloidal chemistry, surface chemistry, and/or materials science for the development of new materials such as novel polymeric materials and nanotechnology, composites, and/or nano-materials.
• Solid synthetic organic, macromolecular, polymer, interface and colloidal, and/or surface chemistry skills demonstrated via application to a molecular sensing application, or similar field.
• In addition, an ideal candidate will have a diverse background with experience in more than one of the following areas:
• Experience in dyes, and dye-based sensor systems for biochemical assay development; and in additional molecular sensing applications is a plus. Experience with the synthesis of caged compounds, bioconjugation, photo-activation, photo-release, and electrochemistry is a plus.
• Experience in oligonucleotide or peptide synthesis, modification, and purification is a plus.
• Understanding of current surface and materials chemistry as they relate to MEMS industry, micro-fabrication technology, techniques, and associated fields is a plus.
• Strong math and statistics background, ability to use programming languages, and excellent data analysis skills are a plus.
• Ability to overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced, commercial environment within an interdisciplinary team setting. Ability to work independently.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, cheerful individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced dynamic development environment.
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer