This position could be a Career Level E or F depending upon the level of experience of the selected candidate.
The Infection Innovative Medicines team is seeking an experienced bacterial geneticist with a proven track record of project delivery and management skills to support our portfolio of novel small molecule based therapeutics at AstraZeneca R&D Boston. This role will oversee a team of laboratory-focused scientists and will be applying molecular genetic technologies to support a portfolio of discovery-stage projects. In addition, this leader will play a pivotal role in identifying new targets and approaches for antibacterial discovery within the Research unit, and will interact extensively with external collaborators and resources.
* Provide strong scientific leadership in Infection Biology and develop/maintain excellence in cutting-edge bacterial genetics as an area of strength within the Infection Research group.
* Critically evaluate scientific data and effectively communicate results and the status of programs within the Infection Research Area.
* Key member of the Biology Department Leadership team, providing input into personnel and scientific development discussions within the Department, and ensuring alignment with business objectives.
* Accountable for ensuring that stretch objectives, calibrated performance evaluation, salary reviews and bonus setting are in place for all direct reports and that consistency exists across the section.
* Remain current with internal and scientific literature to maintain and expand relevant knowledge and apply new knowledge to project responsibilities.
* Drive innovation and scientific excellence through internal scientific development, external collaborations, and competitive awareness.
* Accountable for maintaining and developing the scientific standards and productivity within the laboratory group by securing that adequate development plans are in place for section staff.
* Coach and develop direct reports (4-6 laboratory scientists) and be available as a coaching/development resource for department and Infection scientists
* Be an effective catalyst and motivator of change, innovation, and positive productive culture within the Department
* Establish an aggressive publication strategy for the bacterial genetics group and personally contribute to publications, including in quality peer-reviewed journals, and presentations in multidisciplinary teams, management reviews, and external meetings.
* Accountable for ensuring compliance with the AstraZeneca Safety, Health & Environment standards and Code of Conduct within the section.
Key success factors for role:
* Excellent leadership, collaboration and mentoring skills.
* Excellent communication skills; able to effectively advocate for new ideas with Infection Leadership team.
* Ability to create an environment that promotes an advancing scientific environment focused on efficient problem solving and delivery to meet project needs.
* Advanced understanding of bacterial genetics techniques and an ability to assess new methods and integrate them into the group's capabilities as appropriate.
* Ability to keep up to date with current developments in the appropriate literature as well as among competitors.
* Values the importance of an external scientific network and actively works to strengthen that as a personal objective.
Will require a minimum
* Ph.D plus 2 or more years post-doctoral experience, or equivalent
* Preferably 5+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, including evidence of success in leading a team of highly qualified personnel and a strong knowledge of the drug discovery process
* Cutting-edge knowledge of bacterial genetics, with demonstrated expertise in genetically manipulating important Gram-negative pathogens (such as P.aeruginosa, A. baumannii and/or K. pneumonaie). Additional expertise in Gram-positive bacterial genetics is a plus.
* Able to operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight in their discipline.
* Credible people management experience including leading, motivating, developing and organizing personnel.
* Have a growing understanding of the Biological sciences and how these interface with other disciplines and influence drug discovery projects.
* Awareness of the latest advancements in the field through a consistent monitoring of the current literature, and from scientific contacts and scientific meetings, in order to ensure the competitiveness of drug discovery teams and the department as a whole.