Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), which is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and is Europe's main provider of biological data to the life science research community, is looking for a Scientific Training Officer to maintain and develop its e-learning resource, Train online. Providing advanced bioinformatics training to scientists at all levels is one of the cornerstones of EMBL-EBI's mission, and you will join the Training Team which is responsible for coordinating EMBL-EBI's training activities and for raising awareness of EMBL-EBI's activities in general.
The main focus will be on developing online training courses, in close collaboration with others at and beyond EMBL-EBI, to train users of EMBL-EBI's bioinformatics services.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing, quality checking, publishing and updating online training courses in liaison with subject-matter experts from within and beyond EMBL-EBI;
• Supporting the Training Programme Manager to conceptualise and create new types of online training content;
• Undertaking web development tasks, or working with web developers (dependent on expertise), to maintain and enhance the functionality of Train online;
• Keeping abreast of trends within online learning, to ensure that Train online remains at the cutting edge;
• Interacting with others throughout EMBL to share e-learning expertise, optimise use of software tools and avoid duplication of effort;
• Coordinating the collection of training statistics; analysing and maintaining a centralised record of these statistics and providing reports when requested;
• Acquiring, monitoring and responding to feedback from course users for the purposes of quality control and future development;
• Assisting others to develop their online training skills, both within and beyond EMBL-EBI.
You will report to the Training Programme Manager. You will have substantial autonomy and extensive interactions with others at and beyond EMBL-EBI will be required. The role will involve some international travel.
You should ideally possess a PhD in a subject related to molecular biology, bioinformatics or a biomedical science.
You will have at least two years’ experience of developing online training content for a scientific audience and will have excellent writing and editing skills. You will be skilled at liaising effectively with subject-matter experts, design and production teams to achieve the desired end result. Ideally you will have worked in an international environment but candidates with a desire to do so are encouraged to apply. Experience of using computational biology databases and tools would be advantageous but is not essential
In addition to being highly self-motivated, you must have excellent organisational, communication and inter-personal skills and have the ability to work well as part of a team. The ability to work to deadlines is essential.
A good working knowledge of Windows and/or MacOS is essential. Knowledge of Unix/Linux would be an advantage. Experience of using web-based content management systems or learning content management systems would be an advantage. HTML editing and design skils (for web development) are also highly desirable.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
We welcome applications from all nationalities. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.