The European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), which is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and is Europe's main provider of biological data to the life science research community, is looking for a Scientific Training Officer to maintain and develop its e-learning resource, Train online. Providing advanced bioinformatics training to scientists at all levels is one of the cornerstones of EMBL-EBI's mission, and you will join the Training Team which is responsible for coordinating EMBL-EBI's training activities and for raising awareness of EMBL-EBI's activities in general.
The main focus will be on developing online training courses, in close collaboration with others at and beyond EMBL-EBI, to train users of EMBL-EBI's bioinformatics services.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing, quality checking, publishing and updating online training courses in liaison with subject-matter experts from within and beyond EMBL-EBI;
• Supporting the Training Programme Manager to conceptualise and create new types of online training content;
• Undertaking web development tasks, or working with web developers (dependent on expertise), to maintain and enhance the functionality of Train online;
• Keeping abreast of trends within online learning, to ensure that Train online remains at the cutting edge;
• Interacting with others throughout EMBL to share e-learning expertise, optimise use of software tools and avoid duplication of effort;
• Coordinating the collection of training statistics; analysing and maintaining a centralised record of these statistics and providing reports when requested;
• Acquiring, monitoring and responding to feedback from course users for the purposes of quality control and future development;
• Assisting others to develop their online training skills, both within and beyond EMBL-EBI.
You will report to the Training Programme Manager. You will have substantial autonomy and extensive interactions with others at and beyond EMBL-EBI will be required. The role will involve some international travel.