Senior Linux Administrator
Medical Science & Computing
Medical Science & Computing, Inc. (MSC) is a small business, dedicated to providing scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a long history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH). MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We are currently searching for a Senior Linux Administrator to support the NIH. This is a full-time position located at the NIH Campus in Bethesda, MD.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform as a senior member of the system administration team to support the installation, optimization, integration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, modifications, security, and upgrading of IT systems and components to provide services that enable customers to effectively apply IT to business requirements.
• Exhibit knowledge of tools and mechanisms for distributing new and upgraded software to ensure customers receive current versions of supported software, as they become available.
• Work with others senior staff to recommend and design systems architecture and topology from both general and specific perspectives.
• Design, implement, and evaluate current and future infrastructure initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance
• General Administration of Unix/Linux - Installation, Users Creation, Group Creation, Permissions, Creations of Folders, Mail/SMTP, Web (Apache, Tomcat), FTP, DNS, Proxy, Samba, Firewall (NAT, IP Tables, Packet Filter, IP Filter), LDAP, NFS, NIS, NFS/CIFS/FCP
• Perform problem diagnosis, troubleshooting and resolution
• Perform new hardware and Linux OS installations, patching and upgrades
• Maintain operating systems and associated infrastructure software
• Design and document SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for system administration activities
• Install and maintain Server OS and configuration using tools automated installation like Kickstart and Configuration Management tools like Puppet
• Work closely with various IT groups including but not limited to project management, database administration, network and security teams, application team and assist in overall architectural design, implementation and troubleshooting