Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
• Oversee laboratory and bioinformatics work for psychiatric genetic epidemiology research projects in the Psychiatric & Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit (PNGU) Lab at MGH:
• Coordinate study timelines and progression for ~15 projects at any given time.
• Manage 4 full time and additional part time lab technicians. Coordinate and oversee their day-to-day work and skills development.
• Sample management in the PNGU lab which houses more than 100,000 DNA samples for more than 100 projects:
• Serve as the primary sample tracking contact for ~70 project sites at any given time that submit blood and saliva samples to the PNGU lab for DNA extraction and future genotyping.
• Maintain the lab’s sample tracking databases. Enter, edit, and delete data as needed.
• Coordinate sample audits and reorganizations.
• Work with developers to design, create, and test enhancements to the lab’s sample tracking systems.
• Oversee genotyping and analysis:
• SNP Assay Design.
• Bioinformatics (quality control).
• Analysis, Presentation, and Publication.
• Maintain a database of projects, enrollment numbers, planned experiments and analyses.
• Summarize sample statistics for inclusion in grants and reports.
• Organize and assist in the review and assessment of lab processes.
• Create budgets and billing reports.
• Screen and interview prospective hires.
• Train new staff.
• Lead weekly lab meetings.
• Take minutes on a weekly conference call for a research group engaged in cross disorder analyses.
• Assist with maintaining the lab’s regulatory documentation.
• Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline. Masters degree preferred.
• 5+ years experience working in a biology laboratory.
• Knowledge of human genetics concepts.
• PCR and genotyping experience.
• Liquid handling robotics experience preferred.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• 2+ years experience in project and people management.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Experience with statistical and database software.
• Statistical analysis experience preferred.